Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed since the weather has gotten cooler , when I fill up with gas, I have gas overflow all over the paint and fenders. Not only do I not want gas on the paint of my 2011 JK, but it stains the fenders. I live in S.W. Ohio, fill up at different stations, so it is not just 1 location. Also have been on business trips over the last month to Detroit and Cleveland and have the same problem of overflow. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Love my JK !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
monitor it better and stop the pump a gallon short everytime. you have the 2 door? the tank capacity is like 13 gallons or somewhere around there...stop it at 12

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i'm pretty sure the tank capacity is 20 gallons or thereabouts for the 2 door. 22.6 ish for the 4 door.

there was a recall for this, not sure if you're covered.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
18.5 2dr., 22.5 4dr. You can't top off it will overflow. If it still does there's a problem with the check valve and the dealer will most likely replace the tank. Chrysler is aware of the problem with older JK's but if yours does it contact the dealer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
what works for me is to just put it on the first level (slowest) of cruise control on the pump handle. Very rarely overflows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a 2013 JKU and if I add more fuel after the pump clicks off the first time, it overflows. Out of habbit I usually try to squeeze a little more more into the tank and it glugs out of the Jeep. Last week I drove it from Detroit to Brownsville, Texas and finally broke that habbit after filling it up 6 times in 2 days.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i used to be a big topup guy. get it all the way up the filler tube and cap it lol. when i went to california (you can't pump it yourself in oregon) i learned that even one extra click of the pump will cause an overflow.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I always get a big handful of windshield cleaner towels and wad them up and stick them under the spout of the hose to catch the splash back. I am curious what is the most fuel anyone has actually put in an unlimited? I got 20 gallons in mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts