Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had tj about a month. Drove it down till the gas laughter came on. Within eight miles it was completely empty according to gauge. Drove it forty more miles ( while keeping gas with me). Finally put more gas in and never ran it dry. Anyone know how to work on the gauge so it more accurate. Like I said. I went forty to 50 miles without gauge moving.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The fuel gauges in TJs are off by a good amount for some reason. Not sure why maybe someone will chime in with a good explanation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wrangler sits on empty and I have to make sure to reset the trip gauge, when i fill it up. So I too, eagerly wait to hear a possible prognosis. :)

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Had tj about a month. Drove it down till the gas laughter came on. Within eight miles it was completely empty according to gauge. Drove it forty more miles ( while keeping gas with me). Finally put more gas in and never ran it dry. Anyone know how to work on the gauge so it more accurate. Like I said. I went forty to 50 miles without gauge moving.
IIRC the light comes on with about 3 gallons of fuel left. so even at 15 MPG (rough average) you would still be able to drive 45 miles till it is completley empty. I know mine is fairly accurate on the upper scale of the gauge. I try not to run it down that low so I'm not sure if mine also is off that much at lower levels.

The sending unit that controls the gauge is in the tank, along with the pump and filter. It's all one unit. So an easy fix is not possible (unless you consider dropping the tank easy).

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Even when my gauge is well down below the 'E', it still has several gallons remaining in it. I go by my trip odometer which is more accurate but usually wait until it's below the E before I start thinking about filling up.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If the light came on and the needle went to empty right when you ran out of gas we would have an epidemic of people constantly running out of gas and not making it to a gas stations. The warning light wouldn't be a very good warning it you ran out of gas right when the light turned on.

Every car made is like this...

·
Registered
388 Posts
sending unit could be off. Also could be corrosion in the wire between the sending unit and gauge. The gauge works based off a resistance readings, as the wire corrodes over time the resistance read at the gauge changes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the light came on and the needle went to empty right when you ran out of gas we would have an epidemic of people constantly running out of gas and not making it to a gas stations. The warning light wouldn't be a very good warning it you ran out of gas right when the light turned on.

Every car made is like this...

True but it goes light on and within eight miles it shows is completely empty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So... Making sure I understand. You fill up. Reset the odometer and when the odo reads about 8 miles your warning light comes on and the gas gauge drops to "e"?
If so, that sounds like a bad sending unit.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
So... Making sure I understand. You fill up. Reset the odometer and when the odo reads about 8 miles your warning light comes on and the gas gauge drops to "e"?
If so, that sounds like a bad sending unit.
No the light comes on then 8 miles later the gauge reads empty. (If I understand him correctly) but he can still drive 40-50 miles without completely running out.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No the light comes on then 8 miles later the gauge reads empty. (If I understand him correctly) but he can still drive 40-50 miles without completely running out.

Yep, mine too. When the light comes on, I can get 15 gallons into the 19 gallon tank. And like you, when the light comes on, very shortly the gauge is at E. That is just the way it is.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would rather have that problem than the problem I have. Mine stops moving at 1/2 tank, so unless I go by milage I can run out. No way to fix the sender unit, and it is not sold seperatly (although you can buy pump seperately). So looks like I spend $ 230.00 for an Airtex brand pump/sender/regulator for my 19 gallon tank. Good thing I don't have the 15 gal/sender unit. It is almoust $300.00. (if that makes any sence).

·
Registered
93 Posts
When my light comes on I literally have 2 miles to get to a gas station and it takes almost 19 gallons... Nearly ran out twice. So qtr tank = empty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, glad it's not an issue with my gauge. Seems like it's normal. Just worried me the first time when the light came on and then said e before I even got to another exit ha. Thanks for everyone's input

1 - 19 of 19 Posts