Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 4.0 manual

Filled her up and when I cranked it over the gas gauge stayed on empty and the gas light came on. This feels like the mechanism inside the tank since the gas light comes on. Anyone seen this before? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sounds like your float switch is broken or your float itself. Most likely the switch as it's a potentiometer and the contacts do wear out over time.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
99 4.0 manual

Filled her up and when I cranked it over the gas gauge stayed on empty and the gas light came on. This feels like the mechanism inside the tank since the gas light comes on. Anyone seen this before? Thanks.
Not unusual, had it happened on my son's 2000 numerous times. Do you know how to run a diagnostic on your instrument cluster by holding down the trip reset and turning the key to the run position. This should clear it, if not the first time then repeat.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
DWDK - where is the pot located? Will also try the trip reset method. Thanks for the suggestions.
As previous poster stated it is in the gas tank, and attached to the side of the fuel pump assembly/housing. Its a relatively cheap fix of you do it yourself. And if you do, MAKE SURE the tank is as empty as possible as it will make the job that much easier.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The fuel gage sending unit is part of the fuel pump and I do not believe it is available by itself.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The fuel gage sending unit is part of the fuel pump and I do not believe it is available by itself.
You maybe right, and if you can't you maybe able to find a pump that doesn't work and you can swap them. That is also a maybe depending on the style it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts