Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help guide me on this. I have a 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited that I bought about 3 months ago. When I first bought it the gas gauge seemed to be acting okay, and for the most part accurate. It went down as I drove and back up when I filled it. After about two weeks I noticed when I would go over a bump, the gauge would start to drop all the way to E and eventually come back up. Then it started malfunctioning, when I would turn my jeep on. Sometimes it would be full, sometimes on 3/4, 1/2, 1/4... You get it. Then I started it up one day and it was on E and stayed there. I've filled the tank a few times and it doesn't go back up. It also has a digi gas gauge on the roof, but it's completely unreliable. It'll go from saying I have 254mi left till empty to saying I have 2.

My questions is, what could this be? Faulty gas gauge? If so is this a difficult fix? I know NOTHING about cars, and I'm trying to get my husband to fix it. He swears the tank will have to be dropped. Anyone with an Idea please help.
Thank you for reading my novel. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Well girl these are a little different then a yj but it sounds like you just have a bad ground on the sending unit and if your lucky you might be able to reach the wire on top of the tank to clean and or tighten without dropping it.
if it is a bad sending unit then the tank will need to at least be lowered and tilted to replace it.
good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
just post i was looking for, Scott i have a YJ and mine is the same way, once it was filled it started dropping but now its just at 1/4 and if i fill up it goes up a bit. How hard of a fix is this as i would like to have the gas gauge working? TIA!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts