Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of selling my TJ and buying a YJ, but the gas gauge on the YJ seems to stick once it gets to 1/4 tank. Has anyone experienced something similar? I imagine I need to drop the tank and replace or fix the float.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You would have to replace the sending unit. If that's all it's doing and since you are aware of where "empty" is I think I would leave it alone, especially since dropping the tank and removing/replacing the unit, new fuel lines, etc. seems like a lot of work and $ for the needle to move over a bit. If you must do it just be prepared for a headache.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping it would be an easy fix but if it that much of a pain I will just fill up when it hits 1/4 tank and call it good. At least that way I never run out of gas. :punk:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the exact same thing. The PO stated he put a new fuel pump on so I am assuming he set the float in the wrong position. Mine falls to empty as soon as you pass a quarter tank

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I ended up dropping the tank due to some cracked out fuel lines. So I might as well fix the gauge now. Does anyone had any advice or links to look at. Is it a piece on that pump that can be replaced? I think someone mentioned a sending unit. What does that look like and what does a new one run? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
92 4.0 20 gal tank is >$200 depending on where you source the part. When you remove it the pump sending unit are all attached to gether. Hopefully it iss just the way it moves and can be adjusted or something is making it bind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I will see if its binding and not allowing the arm to fully drop. For $200 I'll just fill up based on mileage since the pump is working fine.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Mine stuck again tooday first trip of thr day and then just like that on the third trip in town back to normal got to love this!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update here because it has been a long time. But I ended up dropping the tank and lightly sanding the terminal posts to clean up any junk. Put it all back together with new fuel lines on the outside of the tank and it has worked perfectly for almost a year now.
$10 in new fuel lines and $6 for some paint for the tank skid plate and its all as good as new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts