Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97' TJ, 4.0, Sport. My gas gauge has stopped working. Up to the point it stopped it was pretty much all over the place as to how much gas I had. I would fill it up, drive a couple miles or more before it would register the gas just put in; a couple days later it would register below what I knew was in the tank. Due to the past history of the gauge I keep careful track of my gas usage and when I fill up so it's not a really big deal, but it sure is a pain in the butt, any ideas as to what's up with my gauge.

Possibly related, about the same time the gas gauge stopped altogether both my "key in ignition" and "headlights on" warnings have stopped working. Related???
Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Sounds like the sending unit in the fuel pump is bad.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Agree, sounds like a bad gas sender, unfortunately, it's part of the fuel pump assembly and you have to drop the tank to replace the assembly. Be brand conscious (Bosch) and stay away from bargain fuel pumps (anything sold at AutoZone, Advanced, O-Riley, etc.), they tend to fail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The gas gauge on the early Tj's not working was a Manufacturer defect. I have a 98Tj and I stopped relying on the gauge. Sometimes it works sometimes it's on empty. I just reset my trip odometer to zero everytime I fill up and when I get to about 200 to 214 miles I get gas. Sounds ridiculous but it's no big deal to me anymore and works great. I wouldn't dump money into trying to get it fixed, you will just be throwing your money out the window.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my TJ. After a fillup, it shows 3/4 full. and then sometimes, I can be close to empty and it shows 1/4 tank gas! I just refill every 225 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts