Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas gauge suddenly drops while I'm drive, like it thinks my Jeep is off, that's how far it's dropping. I've had this issue before but today it would show 1/4 of a tank and then go back down immediately. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
That ain't a gas gauge, that right there is a guess gauge
Now that's funny.

It's probably just sticking. Although mine doesn't drop completely it doesn't read the same as it did a few years back. I pay more attention to the odometer than I do the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After filling the tank it doesn't move like it did. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway..,how do you use your odometer as a "gas gauge"?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Figure out how miles you get to a tank, or 3/4 of a tank. Then reset your trip odometer every time you fill up, or just pay attention to how many miles you've driven since your last fill up

·
Registered
494 Posts
My guess would be sending unit failure or bad ground if that is the only gauge acting up.

Does it only do it when it reaches a fuel level or is it anytime no matter level in tank?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My current TJ's sending unit had two 'dead' spots in it. As my fuel level dropped to just the right amount, the gauge would go totally dead... but then once I got below the critical level, it would suddenly spring back to life and work normally. One dead spot was just above 1/2 tank, and the other spot was right at the top of the red zone.

Replacing the sending unit fixed this.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it's only at a certain point because now that its full it doesn't do it anymore. I guess I'll see in a few days when I have to fill up again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an after market fix for the sending unit in the Wrangler? I’m a rural route carrier and I think the bumpy roads cause the issue. I replaced the fuel pump / sending unit and it worked fine for a couple months then back to the same issue. It indicates correctly when first started but goes to empty After a little driving.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an after market fix for the sending unit in the Wrangler? I’m a rural route carrier and I think the bumpy roads cause the issue. I replaced the fuel pump / sending unit and it worked fine for a couple months then back to the same issue. It indicates correctly when first started but goes to empty After a little driving.
I changed my fuel pump nearly two years ago and had an intermittent non start. The issue was the contacts in the loom side connector. I took it apart and closed the terminals up slightly. I could feel the difference it made when pushing the connector back together. I've had no problems since. I couldn't swear to it but it seemed to me like the pins in the connector on the new pump were ever so slightly thinner than the original pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts