Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new to this site, but have owned a couple of wranglers, and a liberty.
I have a question I just bought a 90 yj 4banger thinking this would be cheaper on gas and still fun. Well this thing needs it's own oil well.
I am getting about 4 miles to the gallon, at first I thought I had a fuel leak but I checked that out and everything is dry, (including the inside of tank:banghead:) Jeep doesn't run rough and idles fine. Any ideas?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
brakes sticking? low tire pressure? something causing to much drag???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has a 3" lift I am running 31 at's it had 33mudders but I want to pull my bass boat eventually with it the brakes aren't sticking just been replaced. The tires have nitrogen in them the pressure is fine brand new

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Seriously 4 MPG or just exaggerating?

I will tell you from personal experience, a 4-banger YJ is not going to get much (if any) better gas mileage than the straight six. I've owned both and they're pretty much the same gas guzzling brick on wheels.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
How are you figuring you mpg? Are you using the odomiter in tbd jeep? If so don't, its probaly not right, use a gps. Next look at your o2 sensor, I was getting 9mpg with my 6 changed o2 sensor and back to 14. Have you done a full goin tune up?

·
Registered
521 Posts
my 4 banger gets about 17mpg with 31s no lift. 5 speed

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm running a 4" rough country lift with 33x12.5x15 tires with stick gears and axles. I'm got 14.8 mpg today on this tank of gas.

·
Registered
982 Posts
...I am getting about 4 miles to the gallon, ...Any ideas?
Next time you see your neighbor out, go up and shake his hand.
See if you can detect any gasoline breath.
Even if you don't smell nothin on him, if he won't look you in the eye ask him if you can kiss his wife.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts