Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was just about to leave my parents house I started smelling gas and I see that I have a leak from the middle fuel line that is coming out of the tank.

Does anyone know if I have to drop the tank to repair/replace it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You'll either have to drop it enough to reach in and remove it or cut a opening through the bed, I wouldn't cut my tub, but many do for easy access.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll either have to drop it enough to reach in and remove it or cut a opening through the bed, I wouldn't cut my tub, but many do for easy access.
Yea I started to drop my tank last night but the bolts were pretty rusted so I sprayed them with PB Blaster so I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you can get the bolts loose. While you have it dropped I would replace all the lines, since one is already bad.
Well it only seems to be a crack in the rubber hose that is on the end of the hard line that is going into the tank so I'm hoping after I get the bolts off that I can just replace that rubber hose.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fuel leak

My 91 YJ 4.0 started leaking in the same place. We managed to reach it from behind the rear wheel and trim off the brittle part. I limped it home and put it in the shop and had all the Rubber Lines in the fuel system replaced the shop told me that the formed lines that connect to the injector rack were the last ones the parts store had. from now own you have to use a cut to fit kit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have the new lines and my tank is dropped but when I was under there, I found this.

image-848517128.jpg

Any idea if this can be fixed without a new axle?

·
Registered
829 Posts
So I have the new lines and my tank is dropped but when I was under there, I found this. Any idea if this can be fixed without a new axle?
Looks like the track bar. Just remove it, it's not really necessary.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The track bar keeps the axle centered in relation to the vehicle. This is important with coil spring suspensions. But pretty much completely unnecessary on leaf spring suspensions like ours. All they really do on our yj's is limit flex and make it ride rougher.

Do a search on this forum, there's more threads than I can count on track bars on yj's

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The track bar keeps the axle centered in relation to the vehicle. This is important with coil spring suspensions. But pretty much completely unnecessary on leaf spring suspensions like ours. All they really do on our yj's is limit flex and make it ride rougher. Do a search on this forum, there's more threads than I can count on track bars on yj's
So it wouldn't cause any shuttering or "bouncing" when driving?

·
Registered
725 Posts
So it wouldn't cause any shuttering or "bouncing" when driving?
Nope, since it was broken already you wont notice anything at all. Both of mine have been removed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suggestion...while the tank is dropped replace ALL the rubber lines there. It'll save you from dropping the tank again in 6 months :)
Yea I did both lines last night. It all came down fine once I cut the bolts off under the tub. I'm pretty sure the lines were the original factory ones which is why they probably went.

The sad thing is I saw more rot on the frame so I think she might be on her way out after this summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts