Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changes have you guys noticed going from stock to 33's no lift or 35's with a lift as far as mileage and ride ? I have a 2013 unlimited sport and looking to upgrade wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
What changes have you guys noticed going from stock to 33's no lift or 35's with a lift as far as mileage and ride ? I have a 2013 unlimited sport and looking to upgrade wheels and tires.
33's/no lift won't change much. You'll lose a little on mileage. How much is totally dependent on your driving habits and where you live.

35's are another story. You'll take a bigger hit on the mpg front, but that's not all of it. If you've got 3.21 gears, you're gonna notice a marked decrease in passing power on the highway in top gear. Some can live with it, some can't. Only way to correct it would be to regear, which will run you anywhere from $1200-$2K.

Also, to run 35's you'll need a 2.5" lift or bigger, and a heavy duty tire carrier to tote the spare. If you plan on wheeling it very hard, I'd recommend getting your front axle C's reinforced. And as another member found out recently, with 35's you MAY need to trim your pinch seams, or risk gashing those expensive rear tires.

Cause and effect, man.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the input. I have a 373 in mine but I think 33s will be best for me. I love the look of 35's but I don't want to break the bank on getting it set up right. Any suggestions on who to buy from?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks a lot for the input. I have a 373 in mine but I think 33s will be best for me. I love the look of 35's but I don't want to break the bank on getting it set up right. Any suggestions on who to buy from?
Tires?

I'd START with Discount Tire Direct. They're a forum vendor, and you can get discounts from them for being a member here. Also, on certain tires there will be other rebates...the GoodYear DuraTracs (what I run) had mfr rebates @ one point; don't know if they're still in effect or not.

Anyway, DTD is used to dealing with us; tons of folks here buy tire/wheel combos from them. They know what will work with your setup and what won't, which is probably the most valuable part of their service. Especially since you need specific wheel characteristics to run tires of a certain width, etc. It can be baffling. You can PM them at Discount Tire (I think). Of just call em on the phone.

If they can't hook you up, try places like tirerack.com, tirepackage.com, etc.

Here's a great thread that'll give you a crash course on what goes into buying new tires, or tires/wheels. There's more to it than most peeps think. The initial post is all you need...

Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Another handy thread: Help a gal out please? ;)

Post #11 has photos of the DuraTracs on my Jeep. Posts #25 and #26 have more info about rebates from DTD on the DuraTracs. Great combination on- off-road tire, and one of the best I've ever driven in the snow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely go through DTD. I just installed my tire/wheel combo I purchased from them today, 15x8 on 33x12.5x15 Duratracs and the ride is great. It feels even better than the stock wheels/tires with not much of a hit on MPGs like kbwwolf said. I would PM them if i were you and try to get set up with TC, its who they directed me too since he has a 2010 JKU and knows all sizings and setups that work well with them and he is a great guy.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mileage? With "the combo" expect about 1.0 MPG drop, which for the average driver is about $20/month at current prices.

Handling? Definitely going to be different. With 33x12.50s now my JKU wonders in it's lane more and I find myself holding the wheel a little more tightly. It's not bad...but it's definitely different than stock. Also, above 60 MPH it feels like there is a parachute connected to my hitch now. This, I assume, is because of the tires sticking out past the fenders disrupting the aerodynamics, and the added rolling resistance of the tires. The faster you drive with larger tires, the more gas you'll use.

There is also some added vibration. Again, it's not bad...but it's noticeable. The Goodyears take a LOT of weight to balance and it shows. I have some vibes...but I had the same vibes with the Falkens. It's par for the course with large tires I guess.

Bottom line is.. Jeep uses the tires and wheels they use for a reason. They are quiet, smooth, and efficient. Do you want to go offroad or not?

·
Registered
186 Posts
what PSI are you running in your DTs WX? Mine feel great at any speed that im going whether its 30 or 60. Jeep drives nice and straight and the handling feels really good albeit different than stock of course. I personally like the feel of the way mine is driving now but you can definitely feel the difference from stock to the DTs but for me personally its not bad

·
Registered
151 Posts
2012 JK with the Combo. Gas mileage went from 20-22 MPG on highway to 16 on highway (going 65 MPH). Not happy at all with that...35psi.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
WXman said:
Mileage? With "the combo" expect about 1.0 MPG drop, which for the average driver is about $20/month at current prices.

Handling? Definitely going to be different. With 33x12.50s now my JKU wonders in it's lane more and I find myself holding the wheel a little more tightly. It's not bad...but it's definitely different than stock. Also, above 60 MPH it feels like there is a parachute connected to my hitch now. This, I assume, is because of the tires sticking out past the fenders disrupting the aerodynamics, and the added rolling resistance of the tires. The faster you drive with larger tires, the more gas you'll use.

There is also some added vibration. Again, it's not bad...but it's noticeable. The Goodyears take a LOT of weight to balance and it shows. I have some vibes...but I had the same vibes with the Falkens. It's par for the course with large tires I guess.

Bottom line is.. Jeep uses the tires and wheels they use for a reason. They are quiet, smooth, and efficient. Do you want to go offroad or not?
What's up.

FYI.... I had a little bit of wander with the 35's. I played with my Toe in setting and it helped a lot.
Have an alignment done if not done so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts