Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Jeep wrangler sport 2dr with a 3.5" pro comp lift on 35s. So far what I've seen with other guys who have similar setup they're averaging 15-18 mpg combined hwy/city. I'm only averaging 10.6-13.8 highest on hwy. what can I do to change this? Should I go to 4:10 gears? Or stick with the stock gearing. It's an auto as well.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can go up to 5.13 gears, may help a little, but dont expect to see 20+mpg. The new engines in the 2012+ have better fuel economy than us with 2011 and younger. Mixed reviews of 0-2 mpg increase with exhaust, I would not recommend a new air intake if offroading. You can change your air filter and spark plugs, i just did but it only gave me a 1 mpg gain. Good luck and happy Jeeping! Oh and if you want to keep your foot off the right skinny pedal it helps too, but I refuse to do this mod :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go up to 5.13 gears, may help a little, but dont expect to see 20+mpg. The new engines in the 2012+ have better fuel economy than us with 2011 and younger. Mixed reviews of 0-2 mpg increase with exhaust, I would not recommend a new air intake if offroading. You can change your air filter and spark plugs, i just did but it only gave me a 1 mpg gain. Good luck and happy Jeeping! Oh and if you want to keep your foot off the right skinny pedal it helps too, but I refuse to do this mod :)
Ya the last mod will not be done lol and I definitely did not figure to get 20+mpg for sure, just any increase would be great. I know in some country hwy spots being real hilly causes the 10.5 mpg but regular hwy only getting under 14 doesn't seem correct? What's your setup and mpg?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It sounds like you have either the 3.73 or 3.21 gears. The ideal ratio for 35" tires with the 3.8 is 5.13 for performance and 4.88 for fuel economy if you look at the 3.8 gear chart.

If you change gears go shorter (bigger numerically) than 4.10. It should improve your MPG.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've got 2.5 rock krawler and 35's with 3.73 gears my computer says 15.7 so I figure 13.5 to 14.5 is what I'm getting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if I only got 10 I'd still have a shit eating grin just for driving a sweet jeep. So who cares
Haha I have to agree, being this is my first jeep, and the most excited I've been driving a vehicle, I def have the same grin. If I could get consistently about 14 I'd be happy

Thanks for the input yall !

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have 33 duratracs and 3.73 gears on my 4 door 2009. I get less on highway than local. Usually 12 hwy and 13 city.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts