Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A corny as this may be, I've always had small cars as my vehicles. This is my first SUV based car, and I know gas mileage is significantly worse. I don't do any highway driving, and decided to check what my gas mileage was. (I always leave it on the temperature gauge) it was at 20.0 mpg! I feel like that may be good for city driving in a jeep. What kind of gas mileage do you guys get?

image-3257611694.jpg

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
thats pretty good for city driving. I get about 14 at 70.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Mines a 2011 2 door 6 speed if that makes a difference
that is actually really good then.

I got 24mpg with my 3.6 on 37's the other day. I was going north with 30-40mph winds at my back though...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I live in the sticks. Most of my driving is highway miles. No stoplights, no traffic, not stop and go even around home. Jeeps got 750 miles, give or take, and I'm calculating 20-ish. Computer tells me 19.7. If you've come from small cars, you're in for a shock. Jeeps, trucks and SUVs are lucky to get 20-25 mpg. A lot of trucks get in the teens on the highway. That's the price of the bulky drivetrain, big tires and poor aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm usually right around 20mpg average as well. It's not horrible, but it's not awesome either. It costs money to drive a capable vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question, do you have an automatic or a stick? What gear ratio? I have an 07 Sahara with a stick and running 4:11 rear end... Today driving at 65mph from San Diego to Yuma over 4000 ft mountain pass and some stop and go commute traffic I averaged 19.7 for about 166 miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question, do you have an automatic or a stick? What gear ratio? I have an 07 Sahara with a stick and running 4:11 rear end... Today driving at 65mph from San Diego to Yuma over 4000 ft mountain pass and some stop and go commute traffic I averaged 19.7 for about 166 miles.
It's a 2011 2 door 6 speed. It's the 3.8 liter. And I honestly couldn't tell you what the gear ratio is.. That's actually a great question so if you would happen to know with the info I gave you that'd be awesome! And I was surprised when I saw the 20.0 mpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in the sticks. Most of my driving is highway miles. No stoplights, no traffic, not stop and go even around home. Jeeps got 750 miles, give or take, and I'm calculating 20-ish. Computer tells me 19.7. If you've come from small cars, you're in for a shock. Jeeps, trucks and SUVs are lucky to get 20-25 mpg. A lot of trucks get in the teens on the highway. That's the price of the bulky drivetrain, big tires and poor aerodynamics.
Yeah I just came from a 1998 camry that averaged 25 city 32 highway. So yes, it's definitely a rude awakening.. But, it's a jeep and it's definitely worth it as well. Wouldn't go back to a car.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
15 MPG towing a popup camper from Denver (5,280ft) through the Rocky Mountains to Scottsdale (1,200ft), fully loaded/packed with camping gear for three weeks of road tripping. Heavy American steel bumpers, 3.5 lift, 35's, powerplant winch, sliders, etc

2012 3.6, 54K, 4.56 gears
Varied speeds 55-75

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm. That's a good question. I'm running between 11.0 to 11.5 litres/100 km. Did a Google conversion which is 20.4 to 21.3 MPG. That's on mixed steep city streets and some highway with my 08 JK X

This brings up the debate regarding the accuracy of the gauge which is an estimate. Some people find the gauge low, others high. You may want to track it on www.fuelly.com. If I remember correctly, my gauge was showing slightly better than it really was.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My '12 auto gets about the same, depending on how I drive it.

My last Jeep was a '93 with the 2.5L 4-banger, which got a whopping 13mpg. And topped out at 60 mph.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have an auto and an unlimited. I live at 5000 feet and have to traverse a couple of moderate passes to get into town. The valley I live in is pretty flat. 20 mpg is pretty good considering the altitude and the terrain.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The a static image of the display doesn't prove much because you can reset it and your current MPG can spike. I have reset mine and driven a steady 45MPH and seen it climb above 26 right before it dropped down to a realistic 16 MPH as my foot got heavier or I hit stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I'll get 16 in the city and 19/20 hwy with my manual Rubicon as long as there's a good tail wind.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The a static image of the display doesn't prove much because you can reset it and your current MPG can spike. I have reset mine and driven a steady 45MPH and seen it climb above 26 right before it dropped down to a realistic 16 MPH as my foot got heavier or I hit stop and go traffic.
Get up to speed while going downhill, let off the gas and reset. It's ridiculous what the readout will tell you.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts