Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I am new to the wrangler community and have a question about gas mileage. I have done a few searches, but am not having much luck.

I have an 05 Rubicon on 33's (6-Spd). I haven't done the math, but I know my gas mileage sucks. I'm not expecting to get Prius-like mileage, but would like to see how I can improve what I am getting now. Any ideas?

Gears? If so, which size?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
66 Posts
A regear would help. Quadratec has a good chart here: https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-26.htm
that can help you choose what gears you want. I would probably suggest 4.56, but it depends on how you want to use your jeep. Smaller tires would help, but of you're like me, then you favor the bigger tires over the better fuel economy. Other than that, the only thing I know to do is to drive like an old man and not floor it when the light turns green. I wish there was some magical way to get great gas mileage but if it exists, I don't know about it haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ZJeeper: I have seen this chart, but do not understand. As you guessed, smaller tires are not an option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MuddyRed: I would like to use it as a daily driver. Any off-roading I do requires a lot of driving. I am not looking to do a bunch of rock crawling.

Mostly DD and a few trails, to the beach, and mud puddles.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
My 99 with 4.10 gears and 33" tires generally gets into the 15 to 16 mpg range. Bumping up your gear ratio in the front and rear axles to 4.56, instead of the 4.10 gears that you have should help, and will do wonders for your acceleration. However, if you can't spring for new tires, then new gears are currently out of the question.

I use mine for a daily driver, and avg about 230 to 240 miles on 3/4 of a tank of gas.

The stock tires should be around 31" to 32" in diameter for the Rubicon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
K bud here we go. Hate to say it buts it a jeep, mpg is out the window. But if you want some better mpg a re gear, air intake, throttle body spacer, and programmer will get you about 5 mpg gain real world average, and it's going to run you around $2000 bucks if not more for all the equipment . (You never get the mpg gain they advertise) So let's say your mpg is shitty at 10 mpg. You will use 100 gallons of gas to go a 1000 miles which will cost you [email protected] a gallon. You bump it up to 15 mpg and it's gonna give you 66.7 gallons at [email protected] a gallon. A total savings of $109.89 per 1000 miles. So to off set the cost of the $2000 for the 5mpg gain you will need to drive at least 18,200 miles before you start to actually save any money. Now here is the real kick in the balls. If you average 15 mpg already and you manage to bump that up to 20mpg and run all the same numbers you are going to need to drive 36,290 miles to start to see the cost offset. I get about 14mpg in my 06 TJ 4.0 with 33's and 3"lift, stock gears, and a shitty tru flow air intake that came with the jeep when I bought it. I'm getting rid of it for a new air intake tbs and programmer, and only reason I want the new intake is the tru flow is notorious for holding water, and the programmer will recal the speedo, any mods that I do that don't result in negative mpg I take as a bonus. Hopes this helps ya.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lindel: I didn't say that I couldn't spring for new tires!! I have brand new BFG MT's, but am considering going to an AT to help out. Would an AT help? Any recommendations?

I just love the look of 33's. I won't go with lower tires to gain a few MPG's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone running 4.56 on 33's? What kind of gains did you get?

@Itsayeti: What kind of programmer and TBS are you running?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone running 4.56 on 33's? What kind of gains did you get? @Itsayeti: What kind of programmer and TBS are you running?
Looking at the trail jammer system from super chips, all I really want is to get rid of this xdi tru flow intake and want a programmer to recalibrate the speedometer, the trail jammer system has all that for around 700 bucks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure where your at... But this past week the gas stations finally switched to summer blend and my gas mileage went through the roof. All winter i was getting 12-13 mpg. I have an 05 with the 6 speed manual also but I have 30in tires with 3.73s in the diff. Anyways once the gas stations switched to summer gas, my mileage went up to 17.5mpg. I can't complain about that.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't think aftermarket air intakes, throttle body spacers or programmers are going to make any meaningful difference at all: do some research and you will save some money. The re-gear will definitely make a difference in mileage and power returning your Jeep back to stock like performance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@all: Thanks for the input !!

@Trailboss: I think my plan will revolve around gears.

Does anyone have a link that can educate me on the mechanics behind a gear swap? I like to know how and why things work.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put on a K&N cold air intake and PowerAid TBS and instantly got 2.4MPH more in my 2011 Rubi X. May not seem like much, but it's another 48 miles per 20 gallons (@Tank full+-)...like you said, every bit helps!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My PO had installed a chip, a K&N manifold and some other crap. Removing and going OEM netted me instantly nearly 2.4 MPG.

Removing the Bosch 4 prong plugs the PO installed, seems to have increased my MPG by .5 MPG, hard to say because only first tank since change. Smoother though and accelerates better. Went with Campion 7034, under five dollars each, replacing what I found to be $20 per plug Bosch.

AMC and then Chrysler spent what, 30 years or more, improving the 4.0. If there was a magic bullet that did not have other big tradeoffs, why would not they have done it years ago?

I get around 15, some times less, some times a bit more, mixed driving, never over 60. On a long highway trip I went over 18 three tanks in a row, at 60 MPH. Going fast costs money. A day in traffic or a head wind will see that mileage drop to 13.5.

J

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
@Lindel: I didn't say that I couldn't spring for new tires!! I have brand new BFG MT's, but am considering going to an AT to help out. Would an AT help? Any recommendations?

Yes the ATs will help and it will be noticeably quieter on the road too.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts

Ok, my bad...I misunderstood your post. AT's would probably net you at least a few points since they have a less aggressive tread, and dropping to a narrower tire would net you another couple of points.

A BFG AT ko tire in 33x10.5 would be a good choice, but your choices in a 10.5 tire are extremely limited. And you'd have to go with a 15" rim.

The stock Rubicon tire equates to about a 32" tire, I think, but it's a MT, not an AT. If you really want to stick with a 33" AT style tire, with a 16" rim, look at Goodyear Duratracs. They don't come in the narrow 10.5" size, but I get somewhat decent mileage with them, and they're good for pretty much everything but hard core rocks (the side walls are thin).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@lindel: No worries !!

So it sounds like AT's and 4.56? I've seen some posts say 4.88.

4.56 or 4.88?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Ok, my bad...I misunderstood your post. AT's would probably net you at least a few points since they have a less aggressive tread, and dropping to a narrower tire would net you another couple of points.

A BFG AT ko tire in 33x10.5 would be a good choice, but your choices in a 10.5 tire are extremely limited. And you'd have to go with a 15" rim.

The stock Rubicon tire equates to about a 32" tire, I think, but it's a MT, not an AT. If you really want to stick with a 33" AT style tire, with a 16" rim, look at Goodyear Duratracs. They don't come in the narrow 10.5" size, but I get somewhat decent mileage with them, and they're good for pretty much everything but hard core rocks (the side walls are thin).
The Rubi rims are 17".

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts