Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I fill up my 2012 Rubicon, the pump doesn't shut off fast enough. After it clicks, a small amount of gas spills back out of the fill tube. I noticed the fender and bumper cover was faded from gas spills when we bought it. It happens no matter what pump I use or what setting I have the pump on. I've also tried positioning the nozzle at different angles to no avail. I've owned over 20 vehicles since I was in high school and I only had one other vehicle that did it. My 1997 TJ. I have two trucks now that I fill at the same stations and pumps and have no problem, even when fast filling. I also fill up my Dad's LJ and it has no trouble. I couldn't ever figure this out on my TJ so I'm hoping there is a solution on the JK.

I've searched and found threads about having to "slow fill" the JK to keep the pump from shutting off. That problem seems to have been fixed by a recall but my VIN has no active recalls on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have any problems with my 2015 JKU...just make sure I push the nozzle in as far as it will go before gassing up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any problems with my 2015 JKU...just make sure I push the nozzle in as far as it will go before gassing up.
Tried that too. Also tried just putting in the tip but that didn't work either.

Googling revealed a bunch of mixed information.

Some people (and actually an article from Consumer Reports) claim that Chrysler will fix the issue if you call a dealer and complain enough. Maybe I'll try that. Oh boy... I can't wait to hear all the excuses the service writers come up with. Some people said they have paid as much as $700 to get the tank replaced.

NHTSA closes investigation into Jeep Wrangler fuel-spill problem, complaints are still outstanding

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Jeep replaced my 2008 JK despite being 'out of warranty'.

Check the Technical Bulletins, there was quite a bit of trouble back a few years ago with lots of complaints.

There was an actual "Jeep Complaint Line" that was very pleasant and helpful, but I no longer have the #.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll have to step out and check next time I fill up. Can't pump your own gas in Oregon. lol

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2007. I would like to know what people found out. I haven't figured it out yet.
This TSB covers your 07 JK:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 14-001-13
GROUP: Fuel System

DATE: January 30, 2013
SUBJECT:
Fuel Spit Back During Refueling (X47 Lifetime Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tube at the fuel tank. This new fuel tube has a check valve.
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) built before March 1, 2007 (MDH 0301XX) and after March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.
NOTE: Vehicles included in this Service Bulletin have a lifetime coverage warranty for this repair.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
When I fill up my 2012 Rubicon, the pump doesn't shut off fast enough. After it clicks, a small amount of gas spills back out of the fill tube. I noticed the fender and bumper cover was faded from gas spills when we bought it. It happens no matter what pump I use or what setting I have the pump on. I've also tried positioning the nozzle at different angles to no avail. I've owned over 20 vehicles since I was in high school and I only had one other vehicle that did it. My 1997 TJ. I have two trucks now that I fill at the same stations and pumps and have no problem, even when fast filling. I also fill up my Dad's LJ and it has no trouble. I couldn't ever figure this out on my TJ so I'm hoping there is a solution on the JK.

I've searched and found threads about having to "slow fill" the JK to keep the pump from shutting off. That problem seems to have been fixed by a recall but my VIN has no active recalls on it.
12 JK's aren't covered under the TSB. However, some dealers will take care of it under "good will". The fuel tank no longer is replaced. Check the above TSB for 07 and 08 JK's. The fix is an updated Fuel Fill Tube which is significantly less expensive. $130.00 at Quadratec.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sub'd. I was actually about to post this a few days ago and I'd love to hear what fixes this. My 2008 started doing this about 2-3 months ago. Never did it before, just all of a sudden. And it's a fairly significant amount that overflows. I'd say 1/8 of a gal, maybe a little less.
Now, I do have an aftermarket gas cover, but that was installed about 6 months+ ago.

Along these lines. Does anyone have any decent suggestions to keep that discoloration fom happening where the gas runs down the quarter panel? Between deep cleans/waxes that is.

*edit*
I just saw the post from Kik right above me about it being covered under the lifetime warranty extension. That should cover mine as well I'm assuming. I'll have to check on this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This TSB covers your 07 JK:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 14-001-13
GROUP: Fuel System

DATE: January 30, 2013
SUBJECT:
Fuel Spit Back During Refueling (X47 Lifetime Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tube at the fuel tank. This new fuel tube has a check valve.
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) built before March 1, 2007 (MDH 0301XX) and after March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.
NOTE: Vehicles included in this Service Bulletin have a lifetime coverage warranty for this repair.
To the dealer I go. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
12 JK's aren't covered under the TSB. However, some dealers will take care of it under "good will". The fuel tank no longer is replaced. Check the above TSB for 07 and 08 JK's. The fix is an updated Fuel Fill Tube which is significantly less expensive. $130.00 at Quadratec.
Nice thanks. Part number is MOPAR 52059821AM.

MOPAR 52059821AM - MOPAR® Fuel Filler Tube Kit for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Looks like its not going to be easy to install. Anyone have any experience with it? Looks like I have to drop the tank?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
When mine was replaced it took approx. 20 min. and the tank wasn't dropped. The tech that I knew only requested that I run the tank down to below 3/4 of a tank of gas before doing the work. The original tube was unclamped, removed and the new one was installed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That Quadratec part is NOT the correct part to fix this. Part number CNNNX321AC is what you're after. I have been getting spit back of up to .5 gal. this winter. I installed CNNNX321AC on my 2011 yesterday in about 20 minutes. I just filled the tank, and the gas pump shutoff kicked off automatically like it should without a drop of spit back.

I bought the part on eBay, which arrived the next day, but I intentionally sought a seller in my state.

I can confirm the fading of the fender. Two weeks ago, I did a fairly serious Back-to-black treatment on some fairly seriously faded fenders. Been through two car washes, and the treatment has held up wonderfully, but where the gas touched the driver-side back fender, it erased the Back-to-black treatment like it never happened.

CNNNX321AC installs in a place you might not expect. In spite of the tank fill cap being on the driver side, the tank connection for CNNNX321AC is closer to the passenger side. The part installs above the rear axel up against the tub in the near-center of the Jeep.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That Quadratec part is NOT the correct part to fix this. Part number CNNNX321AC is what you're after. I have been getting spit back of up to .5 gal. this winter. I installed CNNNX321AC on my 2011 yesterday in about 20 minutes. I just filled the tank, and the gas pump shutoff kicked off automatically like it should without a drop of spit back.

I bought the part on eBay, which arrived the next day, but I intentionally sought a seller in my state.

I can confirm the fading of the fender. Two weeks ago, I did a fairly serious Back-to-black treatment on some fairly seriously faded fenders. Been through two car washes, and the treatment has held up wonderfully, but where the gas touched the driver-side back fender, it erased the Back-to-black treatment like it never happened.

CNNNX321AC installs in a place you might not expect. In spite of the tank fill cap being on the driver side, the tank connection for CNNNX321AC is closer to the passenger side. The part installs above the rear axel up against the tub in the near-center of the Jeep.
Good catch. That's the part #. Exactly what was installed in my JK.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wait was that part for the 2007 - 2011? My 2012 JKU filler tube looks just like the one pictured on the Quadratec website.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read a thread on another forum and I went out and looked at mine. I think the CNNNX321AC will work. Sounds like the in-tank check valve o-ring fails (from the ethanol in the gas). Jeep's solution was to add another check valve in the fill pipe. Some pics from that thread:

Comparing the old and new:

Heres my 2012 JKUR: (Sorry for the crappy flashlight / cellphone pics)

Anyways I ordered this to try it out ($41.18 when I ordered it):

Amazon.com: MOPAR CNNNX321AC TUBE: Automotive

I'll report back once i get it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts