Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a skyjacker 3.5" lift. However the lift comes with the option of gas or hydraulics. Haven't had too much experience with hydraulic setups other than on an airplane. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
7th to reply. 1st to answer. GAS
Seem to last longer. If your a Baja Pre-runner, they don't foam up.
But with the newer hydraulics that has been reduced so as to be a non-issue.Was quite an issue on the early shocks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
71K5 said:
7th to reply. 1st to answer. GAS
Seem to last longer. If your a Baja Pre-runner, they don't foam up.
But with the newer hydraulics that has been reduced so as to be a non-issue.Was quite an issue on the early shocks.
Thanks for the input. As I said I really haven't had too much experience with lifts and the only time I've played with shocks it was replacing factory with factory

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
The ride will be different between the two. Hydraulic shocks will give a softer, bouncier ride with more body lean. It will be more car-like. The gas shocks will give a stiffer ride. You will feel the bumps more, but with less body lean. Off road the gas shocks will give a superior dampening to any hard hits.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
daggo66 said:
The ride will be different between the two. Hydraulic shocks will give a softer, bouncier ride with more body lean. It will be more car-like. The gas shocks will give a stiffer ride. You will feel the bumps more, but with less body lean. Off road the gas shocks will give a superior dampening to any hard hits.
Awesome... Thanks for the info. I've been lookin at a few kits with gas.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
I just noticed that you have an Islander. Your current shocks are gas. If you like the way it rides, you should stick with them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
daggo66 said:
I just noticed that you have an Islander. Your current shocks are gas. If you like the way it rides, you should stick with them.
I'm kinda disappointed on how it rides down the road but as soon as I hit the trail it makes life a bit easier. I was askin because I want a smoother ride but I don't really want to sacrifice too much cushion on the trail

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Perhaps the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks are the answer to your problem then. JIMBOX has them and is a great fan of their performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts