Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a friend that has an 08 jeep wrangler. Whenever she fills up the tank with gas and the pump cuts off, a short moment later gas comes gushing out of the tank and down the side of her jeep. I've got a 1990 wrangler and definitely don't have this issue. I prefer mine =) However, is this common? Any fix other than not filling the tank up all the way every time? Let me know!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just watched a video with her and she said that was exactly what happens. Looked up a few other forums and everyone pretty much says it's a new tank. It's still under warranty so that helps I guess. She's going to look into it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I bought my jk in july and it happened to the firts time this week . It was probally my own fault trying to sqeeze more gas in ill have to learn were i can stop

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
that's funny because i have an 08 and it has never happened but my son has a 05. and when we went to the gas station he said watch this and gas gushed out. he said it happens all the time to him. i don't know why it does.

·
Registered
66 Posts
07 and it happens every time if I don't slow down. i try to guess when it is almost full then hold the handle about half way. Pain in the butt...hope one day they recall it for a fix.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have an 07. Happens every time I gas up. I'm still new with my jeep though. Hopefully I will get the hang of it soon enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yea my 05 does it every single time. i just dont fill it all the way ever. It really sucks because i put armorall on the fender flares and the gasoline just takes it right off. makes that fender look hideous

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 08 also and the same thing happened to me. I took it to the dealership and they replaced my tank. It doesn't do it anymore!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
07 Rubicon 4dr and happens to me all the time!! The link Yo-Yo Oete listed is legit and it also show status of complaint already filed. Numerous enteries and still nothing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
NTHSA reviewed Jeep Fuel Overflow

I have this same problem (08 JK 4 door, 50k miles). My problem with the overflow started about 6 weeks ago, and not happens every time I fill up. I found this forum looking for info.

I also found the following link to a Consumer Reports article about this issue from March 2011, so I thought I would link to it so other people researching the issue would get the info.

NHTSA closes investigation into Jeep Wrangler fuel-spill problem, complaints are still outstanding

Consumer Reports Text is as follows:

Last month, we updated readers on a problem with the Jeep Wrangler that the government was investigating. An undue number of current-generation Wrangler owners had complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that fuel pumps didn't shut off when refueling, leaving gasoline to spew back out of the filler neck when the tank was full.

Now NHTSA has announced that it is closing the investigation into the problem without issuing a recall. In response to NHTSA's announcement closing the investigation, Chrysler Corp., which builds the Wrangler, blames high levels of ethanol in the fuel used for the problem.

Jeep extended the warranty on the Wrangler fuel fillers, so if customers complain, the company will replace the fuel tank and filler mechanism.

We checked the database of complaints on NHTSA's website and found complaints dropped off somewhat in December last year, but the rate remains very high. More than one-third of complaints about the Wrangler are still related to fuel systems, a majority of which cited words such as "overflow," "overfill," and "spill."

If you have this problem, contact your local Jeep dealership to have the fix performed. For more information, contact Chrysler customer service at: 1-800-853-1403.

·
Administrator
42,602 Posts
I bought my ,07 JUK last September and had this problem from day one. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a well known issue with the check valve and they replaced the entire fuel tank at no charge. Not sure if this is something everyone can do or if it was covered under my extended warranty.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts