Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the wrangler an easy target for gas thieves (with or without puncture devices)? I have a 2010 Rubicon that I have had for two year without problems and have been under the jeep only three times. I know the tank is supposed to be mounted mid-chasis and I assume it has a skid plate over it. Brother called and asked if the jeep was an easy mark for gas thieves, or would they go to other vehicles. I really didn't know.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Is the wrangler an easy target for gas thieves (with or without puncture devices)? I have a 2010 Rubicon that I have had for two year without problems and have been under the jeep only three times. I know the tank is supposed to be mounted mid-chasis and I assume it has a skid plate over it. Brother called and asked if the jeep was an easy mark for gas thieves, or would they go to other vehicles. I really didn't know.
No more so than any other vehicle, as far as I know. I'd worry about your spare tire before thinking about getting "armored up" for potential gas thieves...:D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've always put on a $20 locking gas cap from Pep Boys to deter potential thieves. If they really wanted it, they're going to get it anyways....

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The locking Mopar gas cap that I have on my 10 Rubi is basically to keep a kid from opening it up and possibly throwing something in there. It's really at perfect kid height and could be a tempting target. It's not for someone who would want to steal gas. You can't put a tube or hose down the pipe and siphon anyway like the old days. Now, they'll puncture the tank if bent on doing it. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a common problem; more urban legend than anything else but it has happened.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No more so than any other vehicle, as far as I know. I'd worry about your spare tire before thinking about getting "armored up" for potential gas thieves...:D
Spare tire does have a Mopar lug nut lock on it, as well as the other four tires. Hood lock installed too. I don't have a gas lock as running a tube to the gas tank is rather difficult as I have been led to believe.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I got under tank to scope out the potential.....there's a good size skid plate there, and I *think* it would take a pretty organized opportunist who was somehow focused on YOUR gas rather than "some" gas.....

Can be done, sure. Easy? Take a look from the underside.....maybe I'm wrong here...but if they have to go under there to do the job.....likely THEY will get splattered IF they find a place to do it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a locking gas cap to detour the small time thieves. Now, the big time ones are harder. We have several instances at work where the filler tub is cut and the gas is siphoned through there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a locking gas cap to detour the small time thieves. Now, the big time ones are harder. We have several instances at work where the filler tub is cut and the gas is siphoned through there.
Yeah, the bigger thief will get what they want. It's a shame but some security is better than no security. I'm still lacking on getting wheel locks.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts