Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this topic has been discussed before please direct me...I did several searches and found nothing. Thanks.

This morning I stopped at Costco to fill up and as I turned with the nozzle there was apparently still gas in it from the other guy and it spilled out onto my stock black plastic fender. I wiped it immediately but it looks like the gas just ate alot of the black away. This happened once before with my previous Jeep and I tried every cleaner, protector, restorer I could find and nothing got the "stain" away.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there that will fix this? Short of taking it off and repainting it I guess...and then a follow up, is there anything I can put on the fender to protect it from this re-occurring? (the first time it was my fault, this time I'm an innocent victim ;-) and extremely annoyed!

Interested to hear your thoughts, Thanks !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys; I tried the Back to Black on the old Wrangler and didn't get very good results, but that was on a Wrangler that was 15 years old so hopefully on my current one that is only 3 years old, the fenders haven't faded at all and Mother will be able to restore it. Thanks again, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happens to me once in a while. Just use some Dawn dish soap and clean off all the gas residue, dry it off and apply Mothers Back to Black. In a case like this when you need max darkening I'll wear a rubber glove and apply with my finger tips as the applicator soaks up too much.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Another member on the forum who does boat restoration said that Penetrol works great on black plastic trim and last a long time.

You can pick up a can for $10 at Home Depot. I would give that a try.

Reactions: Cabron

·
Registered
595 Posts
I always wipe off fuel on my fender if it happens to drop on it and I'll be damned, I have a dark mark on my red paint I can't get off. :mad:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Clean it and put a heavy coat of turtle wax trimrestorer on it

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-products/renew-restore/turtle-wax-trim-restorer

I usually lay it on pretty thick, even leave it heavily coated over night - then buff it off the next day w a MF cloth and spray some 301 on top. The turtle wax product is a crazy thick oily product, I get it at walmart dirt cheap. .

Normally I use stoners trim shine spray, it's fast and works well. For a spill I'd use the Turtle Wax goop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops...the Lol was meant for Willysdave.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that after a couple of liberal applications of Mother's Back to Black (it was the only one of the suggestions that I had on hand) things appear to be back to normal and looking good again. I'll check it later today and make sure it maintains it's darkness, but so far, so good. Thanks to all of you for all of your suggestions! Hopefully I won't be lazy or stupid enough to allow this to happen again, but if I am, you've given me plenty of great ideas to try.
and now I"m off to get it all muddy !!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Another member on the forum who does boat restoration said that Penetrol works great on black plastic trim and last a long time.

You can pick up a can for $10 at Home Depot. I would give that a try.

This!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts