Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Wrangler Unltd Sahara about a month ago and joined here to learn things about my jeep! EVERY time I fill it up at the gas station, when it's about full, The pump stops and gas goes everywhereeeee. I always end up smelling like gas afterwards and it's annoying. I have to clean it off the side of my jeep when I'm done and I'm really not sure why it keeps doing this. I've tried tilting it more and everything. anyone have any suggestions on this? help!

Thanks! 馃檳

Registered
Contact a dealer and take it in. You should be covered under the following Technical Service Bulletin. The dealer will install an updated fuel fill tube.

NUMBER: 14-003-12
GROUP: Fuel System
DATE: May 25, 2012

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-11, DATED FEBRUARY
11, 2011, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE
REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Fuel Spit Back During Refueling (X32 Warranty Extension Unlimited Time And Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tube at the fuel tank. This new fuel tube has a
check valve.
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L
engine (sales code EGT) built between March 1, 2007 (MDH0301XX) and
March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.

Registered
My dealer just fixed this issue on my 2007 JKU with 71K miles no questions asked. I don't know why the previous owner never had it fixed but I'm glad I did!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
That's the question I just asked myself! I'm not sure why the previous owner was ok with gas going everywhere every time they got it. That's wierd to me. I'm getting it taken care if next Thursday at the dealership I got it from! Thank goodness. But unfortunately it's going to take like almost 2 days of work I'm told? Ugh oh well. It'll be worth it.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Registered
That's the question I just asked myself! I'm not sure why the previous owner was ok with gas going everywhere every time they got it. That's wierd to me. I'm getting it taken care if next Thursday at the dealership I got it from! Thank goodness. But unfortunately it's going to take like almost 2 days of work I'm told? Ugh oh well. It'll be worth it.

Mine didn't overflow all the time, probably 25-50%; it seemed to depend on the pump or gas station.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Every time I've got gas so far in the month I've had it I've filled it up, and it's done it to me every time at 2 different gas stations.. But I called the dealership and sure enough. There is an unlimited warranty thru Chrysler that is covering that issue and it will be fixed for free. They said it's the check valve in the fuel tube that's bad.. And he told me sometimes it gets so bad that it could be on empty and it thinks it's full so when you try to get gas, the pump will keep stopping. But I just want it fixed lol

Registered

Maybe the service dept. is backed up. Replacing the fuel fill tube takes no longer than an hour to replace. It's a simple replacement. Try to have less than a 1/2 tank of gas when you bring it in. Sometimes they don't tell you that and when you bring it in they want you to run it down and then come back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm guessing that's the issue. They're ALWAYS busy. That's why I usually resort to this jeep forum if I have any questions before I try calling. and yeah he didn't say anything about the amount of gas but I'll keep that in mind. thanks for the heads up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts