Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1998 2.5 cyl SE. The thing that holds the gas tank in place is ridiculously rusted out. What is that piece called and what is cheaper, an OEM replacement or finding a nice gas tank skid plate? I don't do much off-roading as it is almost bone stock and no trails around me that are near enough.

Edit: I will post pics later to see if you guys think I need to replace it ASAP or if it is fine for a while.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1997-2006 JEEP WRANGLER TJ FUEL GAS TANK SKID PLATE COVER

Search for that I am 100% sure you will find what your looking for! :) they ain't to bad in cost either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1997-2006 JEEP WRANGLER TJ FUEL GAS TANK SKID PLATE COVER Search for that I am 100% sure you will find what your looking for! :) they ain't to bad in cost either.
May be due to my poor college kid mentality but they seem pretty expensive to me. It could also be due to the fact that I'm used to little cheap car replacements. Factory replacement seems much cheaper than an aftermarket. Thanks kind sir

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lemme look around rq I will find the OEM cost for you! :) Cheapest I found was 135 from Amazon
Me too. I will have to talk it over with my dad and see what he thinks I should do about it. Thank you very much

·
Registered
294 Posts
I picked up a used OEM from Daveys Jeeps for $75 about 18 months ago due to the same problem. Fresh coat of paint and good to go. D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Specializing in Jeeps & Jeep Parts
I just contacted Davysjeeps about this exact part and they told me they will not ship the gas tank skid. Mine is rusted to bits as well. And I'm on the same hunt. I've found mopar replacement ones for around $115 with new straps on eBay.
Good luck.
I am definately going to pay attention to this thread.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I just contacted Davysjeeps about this exact part and they told me they will not ship the gas tank skid. Mine is rusted to bits as well. And I'm on the same hunt. I've found mopar replacement ones for around $115 with new straps on eBay.
Good luck.
I am definately going to pay attention to this thread.

Seem odd because he shipped the one to me.

Try Simpson Family.
HOME - Simpson Family Jeeps

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
What shape was it in?
My old one looked like yours and it was the older crappo design. He sent me the upgraded replacement (look at older jeeps and you will see what I mean) which was in decent shape. I quick shot of black spray and it was good to go.

I have also seen them on craiglist.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My old one looked like yours and it was the older crappo design. He sent me the upgraded replacement (look at older jeeps and you will see what I mean) which was in decent shape. I quick shot of black spray and it was good to go. I have also seen them on craiglist.
I'll have to do a little more research. I live fairly close so he may still ship it

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed one on my 97 TJ after market one from Amazon. No problem with fit etc. went on like a glove. Getting to the bolts however sucked! lol If you have Amazon prime, free 2 day shipping, no tax. Something to think about when you think your getting a deal from somewhere else. Most of my parts recently have been from Amazon, heavy parts too, bumpers, side rocker tubes, fender flares. Saved a ton with shipping and tax. Searched all the different places google would give me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just installed one on my 97 TJ after market one from Amazon. No problem with fit etc. went on like a glove. Getting to the bolts however sucked! lol If you have Amazon prime, free 2 day shipping, no tax. Something to think about when you think your getting a deal from somewhere else. Most of my parts recently have been from Amazon, heavy parts too, bumpers, side rocker tubes, fender flares. Saved a ton with shipping and tax. Searched all the different places google would give me.
Do you have a link to said gas tank skid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I am trying to remove mine to straighten it(2005 Rubicon, no rust, just bent). I didn't know the skid plate held the tank in place, DAH!! Good thing I had blocks under it when I removed the last bolt. I didn't even raise the Jeep, now how do I get my 70 year old arms in that space to unhook the electrical connection, and line to front? It seems like everyone of these connections unhook a different way. I think I have to relieve pressure first, if I remember correct, remember, I'm OLD. Any thoughts?? Thanks Dick T

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I am trying to remove mine to straighten it(2005 Rubicon, no rust, just bent). I didn't know the skid plate held the tank in place, DAH!! Good thing I had blocks under it when I removed the last bolt. I didn't even raise the Jeep, now how do I get my 70 year old arms in that space to unhook the electrical connection, and line to front? It seems like everyone of these connections unhook a different way. I think I have to relieve pressure first, if I remember correct, remember, I'm OLD. Any thoughts?? Thanks Dick T
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtgB1sSEmQ
Here you go. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
DmnSlyr, I have my stock tank skid lying in my Jeep pile out back, you pay the shipping I'll give it to you, it has a ding here and there, and I think a couple old sponsor stickers, but no rust and it's free.

Due to it's size and weight I think it has to ship UPS, but I'm not positive on that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
DmnSlyr, I have my stock tank skid lying in my Jeep pile out back, you pay the shipping I'll give it to you, it has a ding here and there, and I think a couple old sponsor stickers, but no rust and it's free. Due to it's size and weight I think it has to ship UPS, but I'm not positive on that.
If the o.p. does not jump on this. I may be interested once I figure out shipping to ny.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DmnSlyr, I have my stock tank skid lying in my Jeep pile out back, you pay the shipping I'll give it to you, it has a ding here and there, and I think a couple old sponsor stickers, but no rust and it's free. Due to it's size and weight I think it has to ship UPS, but I'm not positive on that.
Sending you a message

1 - 20 of 21 Posts