Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone;

I have a question that I hope someone here can help with. I had a engine light come on, and I scanned it myself. I found it to be a "very small emissions system leak". I checked the gas cap, cleared the code, and off I went. A week later, the same issue came up. Took the 2011 JKU to my dealer, who checked it out. They told me it was a valve in the emissions system, intergraded in the gas tank, and that the whole tank would have to be replaced.

I was told that my lifetime extended warranty would cover the cost, with a $100.00 deductible to me. I agreed, because I needed my vehicle. The jeep was repaired, paid my $100.00, and down the road I went.

I spoke to a friend, who was a mechanic for years at a car dealership. He thought the emissions system was federally mandated to be under warranty for 5 years. When I brought this up to the service advisor, he told me the warranty for said parts varies with the specific part, with this one being 3/36.

If anyone can guide me, I'm trying to find the answer through the internet, but haven't gotten there yet. Is my friend correct, or is the service advisor at the dealership?

Please help. I know it's only a small amount to pay, but it's the principle of the thing.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Steven

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The service advisor is correct. The emissions components are federally mandated to be covered for 2 yrs. or 24k miles. However, those components are actually covered under Chrysler's 3 yr./36K mile warranty. The only emissions components that are covered for 8yrs./80K miles are the catalytic converters and powertrain control module.

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
I hope the new tank fixes the problem. I had a similar issue with my Chrysler car. The module was built into the tank and so they replaced the entire tank. The fault reappeared after a month or so. This went on for several years.

After two new tanks it was discovered to be a bad ESIM switch, caused by a dirty filter upstream of the switch. Once those two components were replaced the problem never returned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts