Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I requested and received my build sheet on my jeep a few days ago and this his been bugging me. It says i have a 19 gal gas tank, but when i fill up when the gas light comes on down about halfway in the red i can only put at most 12 gal in. Did they make a mistake on the size or am i missing something? I'm the 3rd owner my dad had it before me,but is there a chance the original owner changed tanks to a smaller one? What benefit is that, besides less $at the pump? What do y'all think?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Interested in this, because I always assumed my jeep had a bigger tank as well. However, it gets to the halfway full mark at about six gallons. 98 TJ SE. Sub'd

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Look at the part number stamped on the drivers side of the gas tank...

Then check this chart:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CBeach said:
I requested and received my build sheet on my jeep a few days ago and this his been bugging me. It says i have a 19 gal gas tank, but when i fill up when the gas light comes on down about halfway in the red i can only put at most 12 gal in. Did they make a mistake on the size or am i missing something? I'm the 3rd owner my dad had it before me,but is there a chance the original owner changed tanks to a smaller one? What benefit is that, besides less $at the pump? What do y'all think?
I believe the light comes on when you have a few gallons of gas left like 5 or 6 gallons it comes on. I use to drive mine for days with the light on, only ran out once hah.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to look at the part # when i get a chance. I see there are 2 options on that chart, a 15 and a 19. I now we don't get good gas mileage but 7 gal spare if its a 19 is ridiculous:) its probably the 15 i just don't ever let get completely empty, i don't feel like walking!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CBeach said:
I'll have to look at the part # when i get a chance. I see there are 2 options on that chart, a 15 and a 19. I now we don't get good gas mileage but 7 gal spare if its a 19 is ridiculous:) its probably the 15 i just don't ever let get completely empty, i don't feel like walking!
Hah my starter went at the same time it wasnt fun pushing it to the gas station then it not start. Yeah mine was a 97 sport it had the 15. Ive heard of the 16 swap tho.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
My build sheet for my '99 said it came with a (NFSS) 15 gal, but the pic above shows I have the 19 gal. So I don't think build sheets are always right about the listed fuel tank size.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Search it there are alot of threads about this. I have a 19 gallon too. I run about 40-60 miles after the low fuel light comes on and have never ran out. The most I've filled up with is 15.1 gallons and that was pushing it deep into E. The vent tube on the 19 gallon restricts the amount you can fill it with. The vent tube hangs like a foot into the tank.I've read that someone cut the tube to about an inch onto the tank and he can fit 22 gallons but I haven't had time to drop the tank and test it

·
Registered
242 Posts
I thought the 19 US Gallon tank was introduced in 1999.

That's 16 Imperial Gallons over here. (because our gallons are bigger than yours :D)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok after checking the part number on the chart it says i have a 15 gal tank . So i can probably get another 30 miles a tank than what i do and still have about a gal left. This is good to know cause it has been bothering me for some reason.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks about your starter also hipster, thats a bad day! Since the build sheet was wrong on the tank , i wonder what else might be?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
hipster said:
Hah my starter went at the same time it wasnt fun pushing it to the gas station then it not start. Yeah mine was a 97 sport it had the 15. Ive heard of the 16 swap tho.
Ment to say 19 bah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts