Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1990 YJ with a 20 gal plastic tank (not original) looks like this. It has a very small bruise leak in it. Epoxy fixes dont seem to last. Can I melt it out with a soldering iron? Or get a new tank for a reasonable $$? Any leads?

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
Welcome to the Forum David wood,

I have a plastic welder that looks similar to a small soldering iron. The hot end has a "foot" that once it gets hot will melt whatever plastic it comes in contact with. There's a hole in the foot where the operator can push a length of plastic rod that matches the exactly the plastic of the object being repaired. Here's a link to one video on welding plastic. UTUBE will probably have many more. Note, in the video, the speaker states that it can't be glued.

EDIT>>> For all the effort it takes to drop the tank, if I had a leak or serious damage to my gas tank, I wouldn't consider repairing it. Plastic welding is difficult for a beginner. If you don't get the repair darn near perfect and end up with a pin hole, you're dropping the tank again. Even if you test the repair by filling the tank with water, gasoline will find a leak that water won't find. There's times you can try to save a few bucks, but for me, a damaged gas tank isn't one of those places. I'd replace it (and the vent/roll over valves, the seals for the vent/valves and all the rubber hoses that you can't get to with the tank in place).

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,435 Posts
That price (Carparts.com) looks way better than the same at Quadratec, if the shipping isn't rediculous. I'm a Fan of MTS for fuel tank components. Here's their number if you want to give them a call.(800) 522-1622.

Good luck if you attempt the repair. Please be sure to let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts

·
Registered
2.5 4cyl FI. 31X10.50X15 mudders, family bar, Smitty XRC 9.5K winch, steel half doors soft upperslf
164 Posts
For safety's sake I would replace it. I wouldnt take the chance. I keep thinking back on the WW2 film showing a Jeep driving along with the azz end on fire after an artillery burst during the Battle of the Bulge.

I always wondered why a lot of Jeepers have the need to carry a small extinguisher fixed to their roll bar. In your case, it may be a needed accessory if you dont buy a new one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Now is also a good time to update the fuel sending unit to the new style with new style brushless motor. Agree with others. New tank.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Now is also a good time to update the fuel sending unit to the new style with new style brushless motor. Agree with others. New tank.

I never heard of a new style sending unit i thought there were only junky chinese replacements?

Who makes brushless fuel pumps? Are they all brushless now? When mine dies i plan on putting a Denso pump in it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Replaced my original pump 10yrs ago. It died recently three hours from the dirt road. Ordered new from Rockauto. It was too small. Had local Autozone open two of their most expensive pumps (Denso and Delphi). All were too small. Had to order a new sending unit assembly from Crown. 4wheel Parts was going to take two months. Quadratec had nine in stock. The new pump is considerably smaller. Supposedly less amperage draw. I just fired up the Jeep yesterday. The new pump makes zero noise. Hard to tell in the Pic how much smaller the new pump is compared to old. It was possible to buy an off brand old style pump. Dropping the tank is not fun. Especially with a modified Jeep.
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Here's the Rockauto brushless style compared to old style. View attachment 4520166

View attachment 4520166

I remember running into this problem on a friends YJ when we tried to replace the fuel pump. I did not realize the motor was brushless and that's why it was smaller. I did not know there was a new style sending unit made to fit the new smaller brushless motors.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Crown Automotive , Omix Ada and a variety of Chinese manufacturers make the new style sending unit assembly. Crown seemed to have the best reviews. Jeep stopped making YJ gas tank gaskets February 2021. Had to buy the Crown gasket. The bolts on the tank are not equal. The gasket has to be flipped a certain way to fit. The Crown gasket was not as exact as the factory gasket. Have not driven the YJ yet. Too many other things going on right now. The Crown gasket appears to have sealed. I did use a flashlight at the fuel tank inlets to check for light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts