Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My son and I are about to replace the gas tank skid plate on his 2000 TJ sport. I have bought new tank straps with the skid plate. Is there anything else I should look at replacing while we have it out? Any tricks to know about to make the removal easier? Thanks for the help and stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It doesn’t matter if you have their skid or not, Rokmen posted a good video on YouTube years ago on removing the tank and swapping the skid.

You will also see a little trick about flipping the straps to prevent rubbing.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
cut out the floor above the fuel pump while you have it down. Genright makes a nice panel for this.

·
Super Moderator
6,538 Posts
but why? seems like way too much effort with no gain. dropping the tank is pretty easy if you use a motorcycle jack. no need to go chopping up the tub

·
Registered
110 Posts
but why? seems like way too much effort with no gain. dropping the tank is pretty easy if you use a motorcycle jack. no need to go chopping up the tub
No thanks, I had to do mine several times and what a PITA. Now I have a Genright 24gal and it isn't going to crap out like the stocker, but the fuel pumps aren't bulletproof. I'd rather be able to do it in minutes rather than hours.

At least since I have a 1" body lift I can put in the access plate without dropping the tank again.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
X2. Absolutely no gain chopping up the tub. The gas tank is not that hard to drop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts