Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to order a gas tank skid plate asap.
It will go on a no-lift jeep tj (for now).
I want it 3/16 thick, dimple for fuel pump, bolt on aplication and under $300 deliverd at home in canada.
Whjeres the best place to get it??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
What year is your TJ? While early TJs came with a thin sheetmetal cover for the gas tank that was definitely not up to performing as a skidplate, later TJ's did indeed come with very stout piece of steel back there that is up to duties as a skidplate.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
What year is your TJ? While early TJs came with a thin sheetmetal cover for the gas tank that was definitely not up to performing as a skidplate, later TJ's did indeed come with very stout piece of steel back there that is up to duties as a skidplate.
Do you know what year that change went into effect? I have a 2001 Sport

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Do you know what year that change went into effect? I have a 2001 Sport
It was right around then but I'm not sure of the exact year. If what you have back there is thin like sheet metal, perhaps 1/16", you need a skidplate. If it is more like just over 1/8", that is the heavier design that is actually adequate for most trails. If you haven't yet protected your oil pan, that is where I'd spend my skidplate $$$ if you have the thicker rear gas tank skid.

The above recommended Savvy skidplate is outstanding however, I've had that one on two different Jeeps. Their skidplate is up to anything you can throw at it. But for most Jeep owners that aren't doing difficult to extreme level trails, the newer factory skidplate is actually pretty good as is.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
It was right around then but I'm not sure of the exact year. If what you have back there is thin like sheet metal, perhaps 1/16", you need a skidplate. If it is more like just over 1/8", that is the heavier design that is actually adequate for most trails. If you haven't yet protected your oil pan, that is where I'd spend my skidplate $$$ if you have the thicker rear gas tank skid.
Awesome, thanks. I did not know they changed the skid plate out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ita s 2000 tj sahara

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
ita s 2000 tj sahara
That's right where I'm not sure if it's the old thin style or the newer heavier style. Look at it and if it looks like thin sheet metal, you've got the old style that would be worth swapping out.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
That's right where I'm not sure if it's the old thin style or the newer heavier style. Look at it and if it looks like thin sheet metal, you've got the old style that would be worth swapping out.
If its like my 2000 its got the hodge podge looking, tap it on one good rock shelf and its toast skid plate lol.

Im selling my brand new Rokmen unit, if the deal falls I can get it to your door for quite a bit under your spending limit.

It fills all your qoutas and needs.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
If its like my 2000 its got the hodge podge looking, tap it on one good rock shelf and its toast skid plate lol.

Im selling my brand new Rokmen unit, if the deal falls I can get it to your door for quite a bit under your spending limit.

It fills all your qoutas and needs.
if either one doesnt take it send me an PM i maybe interested!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Finally, a definitive date. At least 2003 will be easy to remember, that is when Jeep made a lot of changes to the Jeep... some good, some bad. :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Finally, a definitive date. At least 2003 will be easy to remember, that is when Jeep made a lot of changes to the Jeep... some good, some bad. :)
And saved me from crawling under my jeep while in work parking lot ha

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't know about the price, but my daughter has one on her 98 and it fits the same as the stock unit.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Here's my shameless plug for the Savvy Gas Tank Skid. By far the most complete, well thought out item I have bolted onto my Jeep. The kit even comes with extra carriage bolts in case yours are rusty, and the plastic pop in pin thingys for re-installing the fender liners. It also has two settings..with body lift and without. To the OP without a body lift, if you decide to get one later, you can tuck the skid up another inch.
Besides all the plus marks stated above, they look pretty darn cool too.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Will a 03 up factory skid plate work on my jeep? Annyone ever priced one?
I believe the newer style plate will fit, but you'll want to make sure before you buy one. I seem to remember reading about others upgrading their old crappy ones to the newer heavier duty style. I can attest that it is much stronger; after a weekend of hard wheeling in a good bit of tank-dragging terrain, my friend with a 97 has some major dents in his tank while my 04 is mainly only scratched with a few very small dents.

As for aftermarket stuff, you can't beat Savvy's skid; it also comes with everything you will possibly need to replace including the straps, bolts, and even the little plastic christmas tree fasteners for the plastic fender liners.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
123 delivered is crazy cheap! That plate will work for probably 90 percent of jeep owners.

What frags me is why jeep designed the skid plate so you have to drop the tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts