Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice based on experience. I need to replace the gas tank skid on my 98 tj. Them skid is pretty beat up and I have some big dents in the gas tank from the PO. I want to remove the dents and replace the skid with something stronger. I have done some research and there seems to be a few options. A steel box type skid like Kilby, a aluminum style like Saavy, and the newer style OEM skid. I like the Saavy as it is strong, light weight, won't rust, and can provide more clearance. I dont like the added weight of the steel ones. The OEM is inexpensive and from what i have read(I haven't seen one in person) is pretty strong and with the money saved, I can by an oil pan skid and then some. Am I going to regret getting the OEM skid?

I go wheeling maybe 1 or 2 times per month and the trails can be quite rocky but I do not do anything extreme. Is the OEM plate good enough. Will Imregret it?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I just replace my old skid (they called it a skid) on my 2000 due to terminal rust and I picked up the newer style used from Daveys Jeeps for $75 plus shipping. I spent about an hour cleaning it up and painting. Direct bolt up and it worked out great.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Savvy. Worth every penny.

I bounced off of it a couple of times on Sat and just a couple scratches to prove it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put a Kilby on my '98 TJ in 03. Since then it has left it's mark on rocks from Arizona to Utah and never dented it also gives an inch of clearance. Well worth the money, I can't speak to the savvy (it wasn't made then) and I don't know anyone that has one.

I will say the newer OEM are much better than the ones that came on our '98's. They won't hold up to a Kilby (or savvy I assume). But if you are going to add an oil tank skid I would lean toward that direction. I have had more than one buddy ding their oil pan and kill a day of wheeling. Never had that happen on a tank even with a stock.

If you are wheeling in the rocks i would choose to protect the oil pan first or in this case concurrently.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I installed one of these a few weeks ago and have been off-road with it already... so far im very happy with it. It also raises the tank and inch (looked more to me but my old skid may have been sagging)
I bought it because it was cheap, but as far as materials, welds, and all that happy jazz. I would say its an amazing product

www.extrememetalproducts.com

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thanks, it's a beast too takes a hit and scoffs at it! I couldn't be happier...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
obidya said:
I installed one of these a few weeks ago and have been off-road with it already... so far im very happy with it. It also raises the tank and inch (looked more to me but my old skid may have been sagging)
I bought it because it was cheap, but as far as materials, welds, and all that happy jazz. I would say its an amazing product

www.extrememetalproducts.com
One negative i see with this skid is that it does not have the dimple for the fuel pump. Which means the tank will rest on it. Supposedly if the skid is hit and pushed up it can cause damage to the fuel pump. Whether or not this actually happens in practice is another story. Boxed in 3/16" steel is pretty strong.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I also agree on the Savvy gas skid. One of the best purchases I have made. It also will give a little more clearance than the stock skid too.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
One negative i see with this skid is that it does not have the dimple for the fuel pump. Which means the tank will rest on it. Supposedly if the skid is hit and pushed up it can cause damage to the fuel pump.
This was one reason I went with the Pure Jeep skid plate:

It is made of 3/16" plate steel and is well crafted. It was a direct bolt-on replacement even though I didn't have a body lift at the time.

Since being installed, it has withstood many rock bashes without flinching. I would recommend this item to any TJ owner. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Nice thing about the Savvy skid is it comes with ALL new hardware and straps, even the small plastic "christmas tree" clips that hold on the inner fender liners. That's a big plus if your stuff is rusted beyond belief. It can also be mounted in either the raised or stock positions depending on whether you have a body lift or not.

Plus you can't beat the "you break it we replace it" warranty.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
One negative i see with this skid is that it does not have the dimple for the fuel pump. Which means the tank will rest on it. Supposedly if the skid is hit and pushed up it can cause damage to the fuel pump. Whether or not this actually happens in practice is another story. Boxed in 3/16" steel is pretty strong.
yeah I thought that... conveniently after buying it
but there is actually a ridge along one side and it seems to support the tank up a little. and the way the fuel pump fit in it gave me the impression that all was right with the world. lol

I did take it out to Jeep Jam over the weekend and definitely bottomed out a few times directly on the skid and had no negative repercussions. On one burm I got the front up and drug the back along the skid till it slid to where my rear could touch. the skid still looks good and I never lost fuel.

I can definitely see truth to the caution.. but so far so good :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
obidya said:
yeah I thought that... conveniently after buying it
but there is actually a ridge along one side and it seems to support the tank up a little. and the way the fuel pump fit in it gave me the impression that all was right with the world. lol

I did take it out to Jeep Jam over the weekend and definitely bottomed out a few times directly on the skid and had no negative repercussions. On one burm I got the front up and drug the back along the skid till it slid to where my rear could touch. the skid still looks good and I never lost fuel.

I can definitely see truth to the caution.. but so far so good :thumb:
I looked at the Rokmen video that explains the issue. I looked to me the real issue is the straps that hold the tank to the skid plate. When you tighten the straps you compress the tank at the middle where the fuel pump resides and protrudes from the bottom. On your skid, do the straps hold the tank in place?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,138 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my two Savvy Offroad aluminum gas tank skidplates I have run on two different TJs. But if you just can't come up with that kind of $$$, an OE (factory) junkyard gas tank skidplate from a 2003-2006 TJ is much stronger than yours and is very worthy of most any offroad trail.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I looked at the Rokmen video that explains the issue. I looked to me the real issue is the straps that hold the tank to the skid plate. When you tighten the straps you compress the tank at the middle where the fuel pump resides and protrudes from the bottom. On your skid, do the straps hold the tank in place?

The real issue is the pump sits in a canister that is spring loaded top to bottom which gives folks the impression that there is some extra height to play with. What most miss is the shortest fully compressed height is also the inner height of the tank.

Even without straps with a raised tank skid, the tank will hit on the crossmember for the shocks and push down on the tank.

The other issue is a lot of companies advertise a raised height higher than actual and it's very easy to tell how high it really is raising the tank by whether or not you can run it with or without a body lift.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
the tank fit nice and snug into the skid plate, and there is an angled section on one side that made it seem like the whole tank sit up a little bit, it did not drop all the way down on the dimple part. when I put the straps on i just snugged them up, I didnt go crazy on tightening them because of how nicely everything fit.

The real issue is the pump sits in a canister that is spring loaded top to bottom which gives folks the impression that there is some extra height to play with. What most miss is the shortest fully compressed height is also the inner height of the tank.

Even without straps with a raised tank skid, the tank will hit on the crossmember for the shocks and push down on the tank.

The other issue is a lot of companies advertise a raised height higher than actual and it's very easy to tell how high it really is raising the tank by whether or not you can run it with or without a body lift.
I DO have a body lift but my skid looked like it would still fit without one. it shortened the drop from the crossmember but not enough for the actual tank to touch.

If the skid were to cause issues would it be a pretty obvious and instant thing? I have not noticed anything negative since installing mine a few weeks ago. Its put up with normal every day driving and a couple moderately rugged trail rides.

now you guys have me all paranoid

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
the tank fit nice and snug into the skid plate, and there is an angled section on one side that made it seem like the whole tank sit up a little bit, it did not drop all the way down on the dimple part. when I put the straps on i just snugged them up, I didnt go crazy on tightening them because of how nicely everything fit.

I DO have a body lift but my skid looked like it would still fit without one. it shortened the drop from the crossmember but not enough for the actual tank to touch.

If the skid were to cause issues would it be a pretty obvious and instant thing? I have not noticed anything negative since installing mine a few weeks ago. Its put up with normal every day driving and a couple moderately rugged trail rides.

now you guys have me all paranoid
I have no idea how long it will or won't take. I've only seen instances where at some point, constant pressure on the lock ring caused it to pop and spill fuel as well as tripping an evap leak code.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No doubt Savvy is a quality product. I have looked at most is them and would agree that it is the most well thought out and is a very good design.

For me it's price. Not just savvy but all of them. It may be overkill for what I need.

Any discounts for forum users ;-).

I am leaning towards just picking up a 2003+. Oem. Per Jerry's suggestion.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts