Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you replace the gas tank straps without removing the gas tank? If so, how?

Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
jibber said:
Can you replace the gas tank straps without removing the gas tank? If so, how?

Thanks!
Sorry to tell you but the fuel tank has to be removed to replace the straps. The straps bolt to the skid plate, empty the tank drop the skid plate and replace the straps reinstall the skid plate.

·
Registered
787 Posts
nope....the gas tank straps hold the gas tank in the skid plate and bolt on thru the lip of the skid plate....you have to drop the tank to remove them because they go over the top of the tank and the end that doesn't have the nuts on it has to be turned at an angle to get it to lock in the slots in the skid plate..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I figured. I am assuming it's not that difficult just time consuming. Any good write up somewhere?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
quick rundown here..... Disconnect filler surround by removing 6 torx(t15 I think) and 4 5/16 self tappers OR remove 2 hose clamps at the tank and disconnect hoses. 4bolts in the rear center(5th bolt) one is for the strap 3 bolts in the front. One electrical connection for fuel pump and line on the passenger side that goes to the charcoal canisterI built a jig out of osb and 2x4s to drop the tank slow. Lower tank slowly. Drink beer.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Like ******* YJ said to do. It really isn't that hard I did mine yesterday and only took 30-40 minutes to drop. But now I'm cleaning up the skid plate and tank since I have it dropped. I bet I dumped 10 lbs of mud and rust out in the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts