Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 JKUR and took a trip. On the way home I watched the gauge that said how many miles to empty. With about 15 miles from home, the fuel warning light came on the dash. The gauge said we had 50 miles until empty. We fueled up and it took 18.1 gallons. Our manual says our tank holds 22.5 gallons. At the time my gauges said we were getting 18.9 mpg.

So,,,, we had approximately 4.4 gallons left in the tank when we refueled. I normally refuel after about 100 miles of travel, so this was a good test to see what warnings we would see when the fuel was low.

I would think the gauge that said we had 50 miles to go before empty, would be pretty close, knowing that the fuel pickup would not get every last drop of fuel out of the tank.

Anyone actually fun out of fuel? and what warnings did you get.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
The manual says the light comes on when 2.8 gal remain.

I've got it twice to the point where it would no longer state the miles remaining, but LOW FUEL instead. That happens when fewer than 30 miles remain.

Never ran out though.

Reactions: H8SPVMT and Bobnh

·
Registered
365 Posts
mine is very accurate. i have gone past the warning, past where it says 50km left and past where it just says low fuel. I counted down the last 50km and was within 2km of that number so i thought i wasn't gonna make it to the gas station. but still had a tiny bit left before dry. at this point my needle was a little below the E :) I like to test and know because I only fill up when the light is on unless I see the gas prices are gonna jump.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Yes, I’ve tried a few times, filled up once red light comes on and difference was 4 gallons. I normally fill up when I get to 1/2 tank.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,218 Posts
Think about it this way. If you are low on fuel and then head out for a day of wheelin' say 30 miles off the beaten path and your low fuel light comes on? Wouldn't it be nice to have a spare 3-4 gallons or so to make it back instead of running out of fuel on the trail?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The manual says the light comes on when 2.8 gal remain.

I've got it twice to the point where it would no longer state the miles remaining, but LOW FUEL instead. That happens when fewer than 30 miles remain.

Never ran out though.
I've gotten to that same point a few times and have never put more than 16 gallons in my 18.6 gallon tank. Still don't like getting that low though, JK won't be as easy tp push as my MGB was...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Think about it this way. If you are low on fuel and then head out for a day of wheelin' say 30 miles off the beaten path and your low fuel light comes on? Wouldn't it be nice to have a spare 3-4 gallons or so to make it back instead of running out of fuel on the trail?
I thought the same thing when I decided to test the low fuel warning and was surprised just how much was left when I filled it backup.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would say mine is accurate. I've let it go to to the warning on multiple occasions. It seems consistently at the 40-42 MTE mark. Once, when I was very near home (with a gas station one mile from home), I let it go until the MTE disappeared and we're replaced with XXs. I made it to the gas station and pretty much topped off the tank. I figured I had, maybe, five or ten miles left.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I don't know why people piss around with this stuff. When the tank is low accuracy goes out the window if you so much as park on an incline or get a change in temperature

The fuel light goes on... you fill it up. That's it.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
I have never seen my low fuel warning light go on ever. It gets way too crappy gas mileage to let it go that far. Much easier and stress free to just fill it up when it reaches 1/4 on the guage. :)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My low fuel dinged and I drove home another 10 miles, backed up the driveway (incline), unloaded.
Next morning I started it up and it stalled right away. Tried again ---- outta gas? Huh?
Rolled down the driveway and pointed it uphill and it started right up. 1.1 miles to the gas station and it took a little over 19 gallons.

So those last dribs of fuel are only good if you're going uphill.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
My low fuel dinged and I drove home another 10 miles, backed up the driveway (incline), unloaded.
Next morning I started it up and it stalled right away. Tried again ---- outta gas? Huh?
Rolled down the driveway and pointed it uphill and it started right up. 1.1 miles to the gas station and it took a little over 19 gallons.

I remembered one time on a trail, the light came on while crawling downhill. WTF? I had over 1/3 of a tank a few miles before.
Checked for leaks, didn't see any. Once I reached the bottom of the hill the gauge went back to 1/3. I concluded that the sending unit (and the pump) were in the rear of the tank, and with the JKU's long tank one can run dry with several gallons still in the tank if it's steep enough.

Lesson learned, I never start a trail without a full tank.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

Yeah... you really have to watch parking on an incline when your light comes on. The jeep isn't bad compared to other vehicles I've had though. I effectively ran out of gas twice parking on my (inclined) drive way with my Uplander and my work truck (chevy) when low, has no light on level ground but lights up on an incline so I know to be careful with it.

Save yourself the headache and don't play around when that light comes on because that "reserve" is gone depending how you park!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Worse gas mileage when tank is low? Never heard that before?

I've been late to appointments sometimes where I couldn't stop for gas or had other reasons where I drove with the gas light on. I don't know how anyone can run out of gas. Couple times I was really sweating it (thought I was going to run out of gas in line at the pump) only to find out I had 2 gallons still left.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Mine was on to the point of low fuel the other day and I put just under 14 Gal in it. Now it is a 2 Dr and there is probably a 2 gal dent int he skid plate so I really don't think I had much further that I could have gone.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Mine was on to the point of low fuel the other day and I put just under 14 Gal in it. Now it is a 2 Dr and there is probably a 2 gal dent int he skid plate so I really don't think I had much further that I could have gone.
I have a fuel-sucking dent too. Forgot to mention that.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Following an extended road trip to New Mexico over the last three weeks using rural roads and US Highways where I averaged 15.5 MPG for the trip and did not let the miles remaining drop below 75 owing to concern for finding fuel, I decided to play a little version of chicken with myself when I got home. The light came on between 50 and 45 miles remaining as it usually does. I ran the miles remaining down to 30; however, was only able to squeeze in 13.7 gallons. This is typical as I usually am able to fill to cutoff with ~12 gallons if I stop as soon as the light comes on.
Seems I either have a pick-up point concern or a very premature warning light.

·
Registered
971 Posts
JFY The in tank fuel pump is submerged in fuel which helps cool the pump motor, when you run the tank to near empty the pump is no longer submerged and cooled by surrounding fuel and some say this can shorten pump life. I don't know if this is true or not but why tempt fate?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
JFY The in tank fuel pump is submerged in fuel which helps cool the pump motor, when you run the tank to near empty the pump is no longer submerged and cooled by surrounding fuel and some say this can shorten pump life. I don't know if this is true or not but why tempt fate?
This is VERY true. An in-tank fuel pump is electric motor and is cooled ONLY by the fuel it is submerged in. If you run your tank below 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank, the fuel pump is not being cooled by anything. It gets hot. #1) I don't like anything warmer than the fuel inside my fuel tank and #2) ANY electric motor does not like getting warmer than it has to. The more often it gets hot, the sooner it fails. VERY expensive to change one unless you can do it yourself. Then it's only marginally expensive but a LOT of work. For curiosity sake, I would run my tank empty ONCE with a 1 gallon gas can in the jeep to get to the nearest gas station and see what you actually can put into your tank when empty. Then I would do the 100 mile or 1/2 tank = empty. Your in-tank fuel pump will thank you with a lot more service than running it dry every tank full.

Reactions: bubbabud

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Remember too, the warning and gas mileage is indicative of the type of driving you're doing at the time the gas indicator illuminates. So if you're going downhill the computer will wait before giving you the light it might light if you're going uphill and your gas mileage use might be higher.

Fill the tank at a 1/4 remaining always. Hopefully you'll never need that idiot light to tell you that you were an idiot while driving around in the desert looking for gas before you ran out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts