Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think the owners manual says something along the lines that you get the best performance from using premium gas.

I use premium personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don’t have one so my opinion is based on everything I have read online. Using premium will help reduce carbon buildup on your valve train. You want to use a top tier premium gasoline.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Top Tier a MUST with either motor. If I had the turbo, I'd be running 91 octane otherwise the motor is going to de-tune via the computer to accommodate the lower octane.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I have always been a premium guy but somewhere I read that the Pentastar engine is tuned for 88 octane gas and I have been running my 2014 JKURX on 88 for years. Now, you guys are saying that should have been premium. Huh. Anyone else read about the 88 Octane tuning?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2018 JLUR 2.0 turbo gets premium. I tried both and found I get consistently better (about 2 mpg) mileage on premium so the cost difference is moot and performance is noticeably better on 91. Finally, a no-brainer. My JK mileage sucked on either....No difference. The JL is consistently returning over 5mpg better than the 2017 JK.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I run premium 93 octane in mine. Just topped off yesterday for $2.55/gallon

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
So, is premium over $3/gallon up there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run 87 in my 2018 JLU 2.0T and on my last trip, at sea level, recorded 27mpg using fuelly. No problems. I only fill up with premium when driving in the mountains at high altitude.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
GDI won't ping like 3.6 for example. It can literally run on anything.
For active users ( WOT, hot weather) I would recommend premium, for normal driving (long trip, granny style) regular ok.
I personally would put the highest octane number in it just to enjoy max output. Why would I pay upfront 1K extra for advanced technology and then try to save 200$/year by using lower grade gas.

·
Registered
362 Posts
GDI won't ping like 3.6 for example. It can literally run on anything.
For active users ( WOT, hot weather) I would recommend premium, for normal driving (long trip, granny style) regular ok.
I personally would put the highest octane number in it just to enjoy max output. Why would I pay upfront 1K extra for advanced technology and then try to save 200$/year by using lower grade gas.

It won’t ping, but it will carbon up faster if you run cheap gas (especially if you don’t run a catch can). Direct injected motors don’t burn the junk recycled through the pvc.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It won’t ping, but it will carbon up faster if you run cheap gas (especially if you don’t run a catch can). Direct injected motors don’t burn the junk recycled through the pvc.

I agree, it requires " mechanically clean" gas, any microscopic impurities that are harmless to MPI system will scuff the surfaces of GDI high pressure pump cylinder which will lead to pressure drop. We just replaced 2 of those on Audi 4.0 T V8 motor at 65K, only premium TT gasoline used. No carbon issues so far. I think carbon isn't an issue on newer GDI motors, running on synthetic oils and using Atkinson cycle will postpone carbon accumulation problems closer to 100K+ mark.
I would suggest buying only top tier gas from well maintained gas stations.
Grade at your choice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts