Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Gascap alarm, cleared it and it came back. I did this multiple times. I have now replaced the gascap and it still comes back multiple times. What else should I be looking at to clear this for good?
2007 JKU

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you put a OEM replacement cap on? Some of the cheaper aftermarket caps will leak and throw a code.
It is a genuine Mopar locking cap from the Jeep dealer

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is a genuine Mopar locking cap from the Jeep dealer
Got me then. I would say either a possible bad cap from the dealership or you are looking at some other EVAP leaking issue but that should be throwing it's own unique EVAP code and not the cap light.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a sensor for this? If so could it have gone bad and were is it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine does this, too. I have put on two new caps and it stops for a day or two then comes back. Mine is also a 2007. I bought my Jeep end of June and it was fine for a month or so then threw the gascap error.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 2013 and I just started getting the gascap code too. I guess I can check all the suggestions before I try a new cap.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found some residue around the joints of the gas fill tube. I will get under there and take them all appart, clean and reconnect tighter. I will let you know how it turns out when I get to it. Need to retire so I have more time for my Jeep :D:beerme:

·
Registered
640 Posts
When messing around with the evap canister, be aware that it's easy to break the retaining clips when it's cold. And my Jeep dealer wouldn't sell me new clips - only complete hose assemblies ($$$). Dorman does man compatible clips (maybe what Jeep uses, not sure), but there are two different ones (at least on my 2013 evap) and only one of the two was locally available.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When messing around with the evap canister, be aware that it's easy to break the retaining clips when it's cold. And my Jeep dealer wouldn't sell me new clips - only complete hose assemblies ($$$). Dorman does man compatible clips (maybe what Jeep uses, not sure), but there are two different ones (at least on my 2013 evap) and only one of the two was locally available.
What is the best way to remove th retainer clips?

·
Registered
640 Posts
What is the best way to remove th retainer clips?
I removed two and broke two - not sure if it was because of the cold or my doing something stupid. If they were at an angle where you could see what you were doing, I'd do it with a pair of tiny flat head screwdrivers, one for each side to ease the retainer back gently over the catch. They aren't, at least on mine. Not sure if it's easy to do on a lift rather than on your back under the Jeep. For now, I treat them as expensive 'single use' clips and won't touch them unless I have a replacement on hand.

One pointer if you DO remove them - thoroughly clean the hose and connector of dust and grit while they are disconnected. I had lots of dirt up on the evap canister and when I put one of the hoses back on, a bit of it got wedged in the connection and gave me error codes until I went back and pulled it off again and cleaned it. Maybe that's old hat for folks dealing with evap & fuel lines but it was annoying for me.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if I just drop the evap down and do it that way? I figure I could also spray engine cleaner up around there to pre clean a lot of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts