Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Have a '12 jku with 58k on it and this morning in the odometer display a warning came up saying "gascap". Checked it and everything was fine and have turned the car off and on again from being out at least 5 times and it's still coming on. Anyone had this issue as well??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey all,

Have a '12 jku with 58k on it and this morning in the odometer display a warning came up saying "gascap". Checked it and everything was fine and have turned the car off and on again from being out at least 5 times and it's still coming on. Anyone had this issue as well??
Here's a thread that has a few suggestions:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-gascap-light-84528.html

Try a Google search too... lots of information out there on this. If you haven't done it yet, make sure your gas cap is snug and then cycle through the ODO settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post on Wrangler Forum. I'm not a stranger here though, I have visited for many other reasons in the past and have found answers to my issues by reading the past post. But today I have found a common issue as a few others, the "Gascap" light which turns on after the Jeep is started. I have reset the light after tightening the cap and when that didn't work I tried removing the cap and placing it back on. Neither worked. So I got a little curious and I looked down the opening and found something missing.
6157-MMS-1428582465-attachment1-PART_1428524344383_0408151317.jpg
As you put the fuel pump in to fuel the car there is a little "valve" or "door" made of shiny silver metal that moves up to allow the pump and then closes after you take the fuel pump out. As you can see there isn't a shiny metal "door". Could this be the cause of the "gascap" light? Does anyone know the true name or part that I would need to replace it?
I'm curious blkunlimited9 if you looked in the opening if you would see the "valve" or "door"?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post on Wrangler Forum. I'm not a stranger here though, I have visited for many other reasons in the past and have found answers to my issues by reading the past post. But today I have found a common issue as a few others, the "Gascap" light which turns on after the Jeep is started. I have reset the light after tightening the cap and when that didn't work I tried removing the cap and placing it back on. Neither worked. So I got a little curious and I looked down the opening and found something missing.
View attachment 2079609
As you put the fuel pump in to fuel the car there is a little "valve" or "door" made of shiny silver metal that moves up to allow the pump and then closes after you take the fuel pump out. As you can see there isn't a shiny metal "door". Could this be the cause of the "gascap" light? Does anyone know the true name or part that I would need to replace it?
I'm curious blkunlimited9 if you looked in the opening if you would see the "valve" or "door"?
My 2013 doesn't have the little door flap, and never has.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My 10 doesn't have a door flap. The gas cap itself can be bad. Tightening a bad gas cap is still a bad gas cap. Replace it and go from there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2010 had the same issue, replaced the cap and the light still came on. I have a battery disconnect for towing and Thought that might reset the light, but no go. One I installed the Superchip, it reset the codes and no more light.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Hopefully, you'll get the problem fixed without a whole lot of expense on your part. I've been dealing with a GASCAP warning for over a year on my 2007 Sebring. It has been to the dealer twice, the first time it cost me over $1,000 in parts and labor. Some sort of vacuum pump that was a part of the fuel tank that all had to be replaced. The fault reappeared after a few months.

They again replaced the fuel tank but under my fixed for life guarantee with this particular dealer it didn't cost me anything the second time. The fault reappeared after about a month.

I installed a new OEM gas cap and cleared the fault this last time. The fault reappeared after a week.

I have been driving it like that for a few months, waiting for the right time to drop it off for them to diagnose the problem for a week or however long it takes. According to the service adviser, they opened up a special case study with Chrysler in Detroit to get some senior engineers involved and get their suggestions. That was prior to this last fuel tank replacement.

Something that looks like a simple fix can end up being a complicated issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine has been on for about a year now. I've replaced the gascap twice and checked all my evap connections. Had it in for an inspection 2 months ago and asked them to smoke test the system. They did and said they couldn't see any leaks, they reset the code and sent my on my way. 2-3 days later it came back on. I"ve just been living with it. No change in MPG or performance so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gas Cap Indicator light

I have a 2007, Sahara 4 door automatic. I bought her used in 2011, noted that the gas cap light was on and asked about it.

The reply was that the indicator had been on since day 1, it was thoroughly investigated but nothing the company did helped at all. I was assured that the jeep was operating fine except for this one indicator.

I took it to the Jeep/Dodge dealership in Winnipeg and, $700 later, got the same news, I was not happy with that group of people. They didn't even have an indication whether it was a sensor, the onboard computer or a physical defect that should be replaced....... I don't go there anymore.

I have tried several brand new gas caps, worked for 7 seconds and then threw the fault code again. I will be checking the gas hose between the cap and the tank as well as all related venting and the sensor too......next!

The jeep runs good, I have had the fuel consumption down as low as 10.6 litres per 100km's which is pretty good for an auto, just hate the light!

·
Registered
6 Posts
gas cap indicator light

You know if I can't get a solution for this problem and nothing can be done, I'm going to pull the instrument panel and get rid of the light that is so annoying.

After all, it is doing absolutely nothing except eliminating the operational use of the light itself. "the bulb that cried wolf"! might as well get rid of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had this problem on my RAM before I bought my JKU this year. I took the cap off and then put it back on then I tightened it to like 6 clicks and that did the trick. I didn't have to tighten it that much every time but once I did it I never heard that annoying light and indicator again

·
Registered
34,443 Posts
I just had the same thing happen I replace the DETECTOR. Evaporative System Integrity Module. "ESIN" and reset the code and now my Jeep is fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Prior to my '15 Wrangler I had an '08 Liberty which I bought used with about 70000 miles. About one week after buying it, I got the check engine light. I had the code checked, and the guy at Autozone told me it was the gas cap. I just bought a new cap from the dealer and that solved the problem. Never had another issue.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts