Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed on my trip to work today I had a GASCAP light on the dash. I thought to myself no big deal I'll reseat my gas cap and all should be fine. Turns out my gas cap was just hanging not even on. So I put it on and went into work. Well I went to lunch in my jeep (2015 jku) and the GASCAP light still came on. Do I need to clear a code or something or do I have a bad gas cap? I've never had this problem before.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did it go away? My GASCAP light just came on as well. I bought a new one, put it on in the parking lot at napa and the light stayed on so returned it immediately. Can't really spare any cash at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It takes some time for the computer to reset. I think I cranked mine 5-6 times before the light turned off
alright. Cool. I guess i will buy the new cap again. Haha. Just cant be impatient i guess. But knowing my luck lately with my jeep, it will be the more expensive fix. Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
alright. Cool. I guess i will buy the new cap again. Haha. Just cant be impatient i guess. But knowing my luck lately with my jeep, it will be the more expensive fix. Thanks for the reply
His suggestion of "cranking it 5-6 more times" means that it will take that many heat up/cool down cycles for the fault to go away on its own, assuming that is the actual problem. It may take several days. I've been dealing with the same GASCAP fault in my DD Chrysler car for nearly two years and the service department still hasn't fixed it. The gas cap itself is OK.

If you want to clear the fault sooner, disconnect the negative battery cable for an hour or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I never came back with an update but the computer reset after about 3 days. Gascap light extinguished, but man did it take a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I bought a new cap today...again...haha. I will let it hopefully do its thing over the next few days. If it is still there then I will try unplugging it.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts