Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im changing fluid in frt and rr of my jeep. Some people tell me, to just use gasket maker like the factory does and some say you need a gasket.
What say you guys ?
Will all the **** mush out when u tighten bolts or no ?

Just wondering

P. Scott:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I just use black rtv silicone. Put a bead around the cover let it set up a few mins then put it on, hand tighten it wait 10 or so mins and torque the bolts down and fill. No leaks so far

·
Registered
123 Posts
x2 on the rtv silicone. I've changed the diffs twice and no problems thus far. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Or just go to any parts place and ask for a gasket to fit your diffs, not by year but for a Dana 35 and Dana 30. cost 2-3 bucks each and no silicone mess.....

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
I've been using Permatex Ultra-Black RTV for 20+ years to great success. Never a leak.

That said, I finally broke down and bought a pair of reusable LubeLocker gaskets to try the last time I had my diff covers off and they sure were convenient to use. No leaks, no need to clean the old RTV off for future gear lube changes, and lots faster to use and re-use.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Get a sheet of rubber. Trace cover. Cut out. Punch holes. A first grader can make a gasket.
How do you guarantee that the particular type of rubber that sheet is made from will stand up to the GL-5 gear lube used in our axles? Not even all RTVs stand up to GL-5, most of which includes friction modifiers which are pretty harsh stuff for some materials even like RTV.

In fact, Permatex who is one of the world's largest manufacturers of RTV, came out with a new RTV in the last year that was specifically designed to stand up to GL-5 better. http://permatex.com/products/Automo...sket_makers/permatex_gear_oil_rtv_sealant.htm

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Used Lube Lockers for the first time when I had the regear done. They work slick. However, up until now I have done it the old fashion way with RTV. Never had leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts