Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately whenever I gas my wrangler up, I can barely squeeze the pump without triggering the auto shutoff.... like my tank is full or something, even though i am on empty!! It happens at multiple different stations and it does not matter how empty the tank is.... I can't set it on the auto thing and walk away b/c 3 seconds later the pump shuts off like when my tank is full! It takes me forever to pump a tank of gas.... does anybody else have/had this problem or any ideas on what might be causing it? It is very annoying!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
857 Posts
My 98 TJ did that. I think there may be a TSB on it too. I just learned to only insert the gas nozzel about 1/2 way and it woudn't get the back-splash which I think triggers the shut-off. Once I mastered that little trick I was able to set the auto-lock and walk away. I'm sure there's a more technical explanation and possibly a solution, but once I figured it out it wasn't too big of an issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah, in my '01 i have to use the half-way trick as well

·
Registered
942 Posts
Do you guys have those stupid rubber vapor cathers on your nozzles at the pump? That some times causes mine to shut off but I pull it back and it let the vapor out then try again usally works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same problem here. I have to fiddle with it and then it works. Usually half out works.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I guess I figured it out with my first jeep cause I don't have a problem with it at all... I don't really recall ever having a problem with it, but I may have, I dunno.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
There was a TSB for the 97s on this. Might help ya out if you find it. I just learned to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
ripbiker, my 97 only did it at 2 different gas stations (think of how many different gas stations a Jeep sees in its life..) and was fine the rest. In fact, it was only certain pumps at certain stations, that didn't like my Jeeps fuel tank. You should be ok ;) If you don't have the problem, don't go looking for it! Its not fun :) BTW, Mine only ever did it when it was empty. If I filled up at 1/4 or so, no problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, I'm just glad to see my Wrangler has just as much "personality" as every one elses! I'll try the halfway trick and see what happens.... at least it wasn't just my Jeep!!!;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
On the Chevy Pickups when that happens it's the Vapor Canister it gets plugged up. might be the same issue on the wrangler if you're in the silty dust or mud. may or may not set a code.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts