Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to refurb some of the interior in my 95 YJ. I got an angled five slot dash piece for the gauges, and figure a set of Auto Meter gauges will sit nice in those pretty little bezels.

The problem is, I can't seem to figure out what to do with the OEM 4X4 indicator that's sitting in the left bezel. I want to keep the indicator, but it won't match the Auto Meter Phantom gauges that I'll probably get. I've looked around and can't find any gauge makers that make aftermarket 4X4 indicators.

It seems I'll have to keep the original 4X4 gauge and either: find some similar gauges; or, buy the gauges I want and have an ugly duckling at the from of the row.

Has anybody else run into a similar problem? Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes the indicator?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
ever thing of using an led light (this way you can pick the color you want). when the light is on the 4x4 is engaged and when its off its dark?

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ever thing of using an led light (this way you can pick the color you want). when the light is on the 4x4 is engaged and when its off its dark?
I think I will look into an LED light thanks! Might as well get it done while the dash is out. The bigger issue I'm facing is the design of the factory gauge. The face doesn't match any of the gauges I'm trying to get. So, I have to either get gauges I don't want because they resemble the 4X4 indicator, or, get the gauges I do want and have one not match. That is, unless someone has another idea for the face of the 4X4 gauge.

But, yeah, the LED swap is going on my checklist. :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Easy, don't run the 4x4 indicator. Put a clock or air/fuel gauge or something. If you really feel you need a light to tell you u r 4x4, then drill a small hole in your dash and put a small light (alarm light) in it, and hook it to the factory 4x4 indicator wiring. It works!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would just run a green or ? color led light , drilled into the dash panel all the way to the left and when lit, your 4x4 when it's out, your out. I got one of those dash panels too from autometer putting my autometer pro gauges in them, used a vacc gauge instead of the clock.

·
Registered
212 Posts
4x4 Indicator

Not sure if this is incentive to replace the gauge or not, but I have been looking for the little piece of plastic that is right behind the glass on the 4x4 engaged gauge. The previous owner put in cheap printer made white faced gauges (or white paper with ink jet printing on it), and the 4x4 engaged gauge is really irritating now, because the entire thing lights up.

If you would be willing to sell it, or if anyone has that little black piece of plastic that says 4x4 on it (when lit up, it has two half circles on it when not lit up), i would be willing to buy it from you. I have been looking everywhere, and dont feel like going to the junk yard.

Thanks

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if this is incentive to replace the gauge or not, but I have been looking for the little piece of plastic that is right behind the glass on the 4x4 engaged gauge. The previous owner put in cheap printer made white faced gauges (or white paper with ink jet printing on it), and the 4x4 engaged gauge is really irritating now, because the entire thing lights up.

If you would be willing to sell it, or if anyone has that little black piece of plastic that says 4x4 on it (when lit up, it has two half circles on it when not lit up), i would be willing to buy it from you. I have been looking everywhere, and dont feel like going to the junk yard.

Thanks
I haven't decided what route to take, but you'll be the first to know when I figure out the next step. And I wouldn't charge for it, either. If it's a little piece of plastic cover, it could be mailed USPS in a standard envelope. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks

I haven't decided what route to take, but you'll be the first to know when I figure out the next step. And I wouldn't charge for it, either. If it's a little piece of plastic cover, it could be mailed USPS in a standard envelope. :)
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that! Keep me posted as to what you end up doing...either way. Seems I have other things to worry about at the exact moment anyways...It's been raining here, and I have go go track down a mysterious leak thats making the carpet under the driver's feet wet... :facepalm:

·
Registered
61 Posts
snowgoer540 said:
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that! Keep me posted as to what you end up doing...either way. Seems I have other things to worry about at the exact moment anyways...It's been raining here, and I have go go track down a mysterious leak thats making the carpet under the driver's feet wet... :facepalm:
Water in the driver side footwell is pretty common; here's just one thread on it, the last post seems to be best: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/water-coming-where-590118/
Best of luck to both you and the OP

·
Registered
212 Posts
You come up with anything yet? LoL, was snowy here last week (or so), and that 4x4 paper crap thing drives me nuts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts