Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of the gauges operate, gas pump light, check gauges message illuminate. When doing the self check all the needles move thru their full range.??? Does anybody know what years of clusters will enterchange with this 97 TJ. I know my ‘05 has different modules on the back and won’t work. I just put a new computer in it and that made no difference. Any help on same year clusters would be appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
The 97-2001 xj and the 97-2000 TJ clusters are all ccd twisted pair bus thus can interchange

Some low end xj clusters have just Speedo no tack and more idiot lights but most are the same layout as TJ

The 2001-2006 TJ are PCI bus

Odometer reading remains with cluster
And requires some hardware to program

If self check works normally problem you have is probably ccd bus connection/communication rather the the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had very similar symptoms on my 2000, with the dreaded "no bus" message at the end of the self-diagnostic. It turned out to be a bad headlight switch of all things. I was about at my wit's end, decided to leave it for a bit. I knew it had a bad switch (intermittent parking/running lights) so I replaced that to get my mind off the misbehaving cluster and BAM, all gauges and lights are now working fine.:banghead:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m afraid this is gonna send me over the edge. I’ve checked all the grounds and they are good. The computer luckily was a lifetime warranty replacement, therefore I wasn’t out anything cost wise. Guess I’ll try to find somebody with a 97-2000 dash that will let me plug it in to narrow that part in or out...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a cluster out of a 99. Brought it home and much to my disappointment nothing works. Still have the problem, at least this one says No Bus when I turn the key on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So.....I’m thinking now my next option is to by pass the factory Bus with a home made jumper. Question is where do I start and end my wires? Hate to cut the factory stuff, but I guess I can always solder it back together. Gezzzz, what a pain.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brief update,
I started over and found I have no voltage out of the computer on the Bus circuit. This is the replacement computer. I picked up a computer out of a ‘99 and tried it, still no gauges (3rd computer tried, second cluster). I’m now guessing the problem wasn’t with the cluster or my original computer. Checked all my fuses and they are good. I’m now at a loss as to my next move. Anybody know where the power supply for the Bus circuit comes from? Everything else seems to work fine, just no cluster gauges due to Bus. Checked all the grounds I could find also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts