Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hello to everyone... I did search for my answer, but no luck. Here's my problem: I got my first YJ last Saturday and after picking it up from my friend decided to wash the bird poop off of it (it had been parked for awhile).

After washing, I drove about a block, the engine died (no check engine light). It started right back up, but there is now a hissing noise from what sounds like directly under the shifter and only the spedometer gauge works; all the needles of the rest just fell to the left. Before the wash all gauges worked and read correctly.

They now do not move, but when the lights are on they do light up. The Jeep still runs and drives perfect, but no gauges. All fuses are ok, nothing is loose around the dizzy in the engine bay. I've also removed the dash panel; and nothing is corroded, the plug in the middle is all the way in and clean. The part that confuses me the most is that the gauges still light up, the needles just don't move. Is there a common ground for the sensors?

Any help or any other ideas of what I should check would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Cody

·
Registered
145 Posts
There's some vacuum lines that go to the transfer case that might be loose causing it die and the hissing. As for the gauges check the fuses under the hood in the black box by the battery. I'm betting you popped a fusable link (big fuse) that powers those gauges. The lights are another circuit. Check everything...

·
Registered
119 Posts
also check the ground strap that goes from the block to the body on the firewall passenger side if that is corroded or loose all sorts of weird crap can happen

·
Registered
74 Posts
did any of this work for you?
let us know. Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had a chance to get out there yet... tomorrow is my day off so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, crawled under the Jeep and couldn't find any loose vacuum line/lines. Also, in my Helm's the fuse box under the hood is supposed to be in front of the battery, but there is nothing there, only 2 relays beside the battery on the right. Is the wiring diagram maybe for a FI instead of a carb motor? Where are these elusive fuses? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The speedo/tach are on one plug, the other ones are on another. IDK. Maybe you blew the fuse on your other four and something messed up your tach (hissing noise?) Course I could be absolutely wrong. But thats the beauty of a jeep, everything is easy to take apart and fix :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts