Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the TJs have real gauges in them, or are they basically idiot lights in the form of gauges? My Mustang has idiot lights in the form of gauges, so I can't tell what my real oil pressure or volts are.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What year do you have? My understanding is that the early (97,98) TJs had true gauges. I know my 02 has a dummy oil gauge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 06. Which ones are idiot gauges? Is it just the oil, or is it the volt meter as well?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Cheaper it's all about the money
It's not cheaper, it costs the same to produce either type, and it was certainly not about $$$ why the newer TJ oil pressure gauges only show a mid-scale reading. In fact, the early TJs came with true/accurate oil pressure gauges but they were reprogrammed later so they only show a mid-scale reading when the oil pressure is ok.

The early TJs were being purchased in large quantities by people who had never had a vehicle with a real oil pressure gauge & they didn't understand that oil pressure drops at idle & rises up when the engine is revving. They were pestering their dealerships, claiming it was a problem & the dealers couln't convince them otherwise. The dealers forced Jeep to reprogram the oil pressure gauge to not show the normal ups & downs so the customers wouldn't be unnecessarily alarmed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts