Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago my gauges died randomly. Thanks to the forums i swapped fuses and all was good for a week or two then the gauges died again. I swapped fuses again and then it was good for about a week. Swapped again and lasted a few days. Latest fuse lasted a few hours and now fuse swapping does nothing.

Im sick of bandaids... can someone help me identify what the real problem is? Is there a diagram of where all the grounds should be? I wonder if i have a bad ground... ugh...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bet it's the printed circuit board behind the instrument cluster if its never been changed. Very easy fix and you can upgrade the dashboard lights at the same time lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should you recommend? Resolder the connections? Or if you know of a guide for the repair, that would be great! Thanks! I am at a bit of a loss here...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you recommend****

·
Registered
742 Posts
I wish I still had the links for you but I don't. I do remember two great explanations on this forum. One was titled 'How I fixed my gauges" and the another detailed how to actually clean the circut board itself. When I went to clean mine I found it was too far gone and I ended up replacing it with a new one from 4WHEELPARTS and now all of my gauges work perfectly including my 26 year old clock! I have found from other far more experienced forum members than myself that the gauges themselves rarely fail. It's usually other factors involved which can be remedied. I am confident if you started a new thread titled "How can I clean the circuit board behind the instrument cluster" you would get the details for your repair. It takes a little effort but I find it so satisfying when everything on my 87 wrangler works the way it did the day it came off the line. Good luck

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some more digging, I dont think its the above fix but i could be wrong. All the gauges lose power at the same time as opposed to one or two here or there malfunctioning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have a wire diagram they can share please? I would like to try that first before i dive into cleaning and re-soldering my PCB boards...

·
Registered
332 Posts
does anyone have a wire diagram they can share please? I would like to try that first before i dive into cleaning and re-soldering my PCB boards...
I have some. I'll try to post them later this evening. It'll most likely be after 9:00 west coast time. Have you looked under there for any shorted out wires? Sounds like you have a short that continues to blow fuses.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have some. I'll try to post them later this evening. It'll most likely be after 9:00 west coast time. Have you looked under there for any shorted out wires? Sounds like you have a short that continues to blow fuses.....

image-3871339076.jpg

Here's half.......

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
x2...a short blows fuses,not a bad ground

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend who helped me re-wire everything after i reassembled the dash (it was a rats nest) is going to come help me check for shorts. Endless thanks for the wiring diagrams!!! I hope that is the only issue I have... There was one exposed wire that i wrapped up with some electrical tape. I wouldnt be surprised if there were more.

Here is what under my dash used to look like and also when the problem first occurred:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/help-sudden-loss-of-all-gauges-244812.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts