Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Rubicon. 4.88 used gear set. Working on rear axle. I had to replace pinion bearing and races. Old pinion nut and old crush sleeve.

Pinion torque to rotate = 30in-lbs
Installed pinion shim is .050
Installed carrier, .1140 shim on ring gear side (driver), .1125 on pinion side (passenger). Once carrier was installed, pinion torque did not change. Assuming .010 of shim will need to be installed at the end.
.008-.0010 is my measured backlash.

According to tooth pattern, I need more backlash? It’s already .008-.010. Or is a little bigger backlash ok with used gears?

Why does my brain think that the pinion needs shim?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I dunno... that looks pretty close to acceptable if I compare with my trusty yukon install manual

zzzzz1a.jpg

zzzzz2a.jpg

zzzzz3.jpg

I would say it's somewhere between "acceptable" and "pinion too close"

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My diff guy says to repaint, spray a little wd40 on the top and resend pics. He said also that if I chase drive pattern on used gears, I’ll be at it forever.

Hopefully it’s good. I should have done a pattern check before I took it apart. Next time.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took .005 out of pinion shim. It opened up backlash. I crammed .010 pinion shim on the ring gear side. Tightened up backlash nicely. It added 20 in-lbs to torque needed to rotate pinion.

Now I’m gonna take it all apart and go set crush sleeve eliminator shims.

If the gear howl doesn’t disappear or I just get a different pitch, I’ll probably just do new 5.13 gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts