Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here are the first pictures of reading the gear mesh after the backlash is at .006". It seems to me the pinion gear is not far enough down into the root or bottom of ring gear.

Yellow Metal

I also know that the pattern is too far towards the Heel, or outside edge, of the ring gear.

Yellow

I just want a second opinion especially on the first picture.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Heel/toe is pretty irrelevant, as long as it's not wandering off it doesn't matter.

You don't have a very clear pattern. What I did to get clear patterns was stick an axle shaft in, stuff a rag in the spider gears, and spin everything with the axle shaft.

What axle? And what is the pinion shim stack size?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
It's a bit hard to read. Need to apply more pressure to the ring gear when turning the pinion so the marking paint smears off more. Looks to me like the pinion needs to move back (shallower in the housing) and then the case (carrier) will need to move away from the pinion a bit.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am lacking some real man power in holding the shafts as my 7 and 9 year olds are a little young. I am going to go grab my neighbor and take some more pictures. This is a Dana 44 axle/ARB locker/G2 gears and the pinion shim is .059" for the time being. Oh yea and the backlash right now is .006".

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You only need to insert one shaft, then stuff a rag in the spider gears to keep them from turning. I was able to do it by myself.

.059" is a lot for a dana 44. Drop it down to .049", adjust backlash accordingly (move shims from non ring gear side to ring gear side) and see where that puts you.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way the ARB is made it does not expose the spider gears so I can't get anything in there to increase pressure. My neighbor is not around so I will need to try something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts