Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing diff gear oil I know some will remain in the axle tubes and not drain out. Would it be worth the time to lift one side of the Jeep, then the other with the plug out to get more of that remaining oli out if the tubes?
75W90 front and 75w140 rear synthetics is what I'm going to add after drain.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont think its necessary. Your going to get most of the gear oil out normally. Only way Id consider it on any of mine is if it was seriously contaminated not just normal wear. Do what you think is necessary though.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... just had a thought :)

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
When changing diff gear oil I know some will remain in the axle tubes and not drain out. Would it be worth the time to lift one side of the Jeep, then the other with the plug out to get more of that remaining oli out if the tubes?
You can bet that the dealer isn't going to do that if you pay them $200 or so to change it so I wouldn't think it is necessary.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
No!

75W90 front and 75w140 rear synthetics is what I'm going to add after drain. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but non-synthetic. There was a study that showed in Diffs, non-synthetic cools better. I'll see if I can find it...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No!
75W90 front and 75w140 rear synthetics is what I'm going to add after drain. Thanks.
Yes, but non-synthetic. There was a study that showed in Diffs, non-synthetic cools better. I'll see if I can find it...
Interesting. Please find that one... Thanks[/QUOTE]

Just another tid bit...
Where do you find 75w140 non-synthetic oil? I searched and all I found was synthetic at that weight.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
This thread in another forum is enough to give anyone a headache regarding conventional gear oil vs. synthetic. I use synthetic 75W140 in the rear dif. of my JK and synthetic 75W90 in the front with zero issues. I want to think that Chrysler has a specific reason why they want synthetic 75W140 to be used in the rear dif. when a JK is used for towing, which can be a severe condition. There are arguments that seem reasonable on both sides, but not enough to make me change what I'm currently doing since it works for "me". Other owners can decide for themselves. Enjoy the easy read: :D Synthetic Gear oil vs Dino gear oil-which one, brands? - JeepForum.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts