Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a Jeep TJ with a D44 rear axle that has ARB Air Lockers. I know the jeep calls for 80w-90 in the front and 80w-90 or 75w-140 in the Rear. I called ARB and they told me to use API GL5 gear oil that is Non Synthetic with NO additives(no friction modifiers). I bought the 80w-90 gear oil for the front already that was non synthetic and no additives. I was looking for the 75w-140 but all of them seem to be either Synthetic or have additives in it. I did find 85w-140 in Non synthetic and no additives but I do live in a cold climate so I'm not sure if it'll be ok. Should I just use 80w-90? or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you in Advance

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
80W-90 or 75W-90 are both fine. The exact viscosity is not important. You only need heavier viscosities for towing or extreme forms of offroading.

I prefer non-synthetec gear lubes myself, it has been found that the gears and lockers run cooler with a conventional gear lube which is why ARB and many custom axle manufacturers like Currie require a non-synthetic to maintain the warranty.

And know too that the presence of a friction modifier in the gear lube will NOT cause any problems for the ARB or anything else inside the axle. Probably 99% of all GL-5 gear lubes contain it. If it says GL-5 on the bottle, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry Thank you, I just didn't want to ruin anything. Ill probably go with the 80w-90 since I don't tow anything. My parts store it seems like they are getting away from conventional gear oil. I only found 1 brand that wasn't synthetic. I just wanted to toss it out there that ARB told me the friction modifiers can cause premature wear on the lockers.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
That friction modifier comment doesn't sound like the official ARB lubricant recommendation. Their lube page at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNFZD-XqX9hqgcx8_K4abmDmVbEeKA says nothing about friction modifier.

I used to be with an ARB dealer and having sat through several corporate ARB presentations, they repeatedly emphasized that their lockers required nothing unusual, GL-5 wise, or that the usually present friction modifier would cause any additional wear. I suspect what you heard was an individual expressing his personal opinion, not the official ARB lubricant recommendation. Friction modifier is present in most gear lubes and does not cause additional wear. It's present in my differential/air locker gear lube too. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Jerry, I just went by what their technician on the phone told me. That makes it so much easier to find a gear oil, like you said 99% have it added in. You've been a big help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts