Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day was the smell of gear oil after driving home from work. It's not leaking anywhere. It's a distinct smell of gear oil, not motor oil. I've been driving with my OD off. Would that have anything to do with it? No leaks from the dif's. It doesn't smell like burn't gear oil.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
The only things on your Jeep that runs gear lube are the axles so driving with the OD off wouldn't cause problems in either of the axle. Check for a leak at the end of your front and rear axle tubes, pinion shaft output seals, or differential covers. Those are the only places gear lube is could leak from. Look especially on both rear tire's inside sidewalls where a rear axle seal leak will show up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am thinking that when you say OD you mean that you have an automatic, but when my input seal on my 5 speed went bad I had gear oil all over the place. That stuff stinks

·
Registered
207 Posts
That occasionally happens to me on hot days. See if the smell is stronger around the vent tubes. And of course look for leaks at the wheels.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Gear oil has an unmistakenable smell. Yes, it stinks big time. I haven't seen any traces on my driveway. But all the same, I'll look at the inside rims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts