Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hat gear oil and weight do you guys recommend? '09 jkur. Probably need to change the oil in the transfer case as well. What do you guys use in these?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Owners manual will tell ya the spec's. Pretty much all Jeep Dana 44 rear & front rear ends & the Dana 30 used in front on non Rubicon models come with conventional 80/90 GL5 rated gear oil. If your Jeep has a tow package it will have a 75/140 GL5 rated synthetic in the rear Dana 44 (if you have a track lock limited slip rear end don't forget to add the limited slip additive pack to the gear oil you choose to use) You can run the 75/140 in the front as well and is recommended for heavy duty applications for the Dana 44 by Dana.

I have a Rubicon with both front and rear Dana 44 rear ends and the tow package. I run Valvoline Synthetic 75/140 in both rear ends the Valvoline gear oil has the Chrysler MS spec rating right on the bottle. The gear oil has done a fine job so far.

As long as it's a good name brand quality GL5 rated gear oil you will be fine. Just pick the weight 80/90 conv 80/140 conv or 75/90 synthetic or 75/140 synthetic that fits your needs and the brand you like. They will all do the job.

Depending on the year of your Jeep more than likely the transfer case probably has ATF+4 Chrysler spec automatic trany fluid in it. Your owners manual will verify this as well so you can get the right stuff.

Take Care, :)
Bill G77

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I can tell you what I use in my 10. Full syn. 75w90 in the front, 75w140 in the rear, Amsoil manual synchromesh (syn) in the manual trans. and Amsoil syn ATF in the transfer case.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How much oil goes into 30 and 44 respectfully. My owners manual tells me what kind of oil but not the quantity.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
How much oil goes into 30 and 44 respectfully. My owners manual tells me what kind of oil but not the quantity.
30 is about 1.3 quarts, the 44 is about 2.3 quarts. Or as i do 1 bottle and one big squeeze from another. And then two bottles and another big squeeze lol dosent have to be exact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts