Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If something says its 3.73 and down does that mean it will work with 4.88s?
I think so. I just got mine back from a re-gear yesterday. I had the 3.21's with the D30/44 combo. I had to buy a new carrier ($250) because the 3.21 carrier wasn't big enough in the D30 to work with 4.56's. The one in the rear axle did not need to be replaced. They said if I would have had the 3.73 option from the factory, I would not have needed a new carrier since the stock one had enough clearance for the bigger gears. So you can put 4.88's in but if you have less than 3.73s, you'll need a new carrier in the front axle when you re-gear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It depends on the wording... some websites say "works with 3.73 and numerically higher" which means lower gearing...

Be careful what you order

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The JK Dana 44 axle is a special case.

It's been completely redesigned from the previous generation. The Rubicon version is 100% unique and no parts were carried over. The Non-Rubicon shares the carrier (i.e. the locker) and carrier bearings from the old generation D44.

But it's not that simple. The old generation D44 has 2 carriers. The first is for gear sets from 2.73 to 3.73. This is the 3.73 and down carrier. The second is for 3.92 to 5.89. This is the 3.92 and up carrier. The difference between them is how close they put the ring gear to the centerline of the pinion gear. They do this because the pinion gets smaller as the gear numbers go higher. Rather than have the ring gears get thicker and thicker they move the ring gear closer to the pinion so they can make thinner ring gears.

So, everything was easy to understand. But then they made the JK D44. The gears are completely different. And instead of a spread from 2.73 to 5.89 they went to a spread from 3.21 to 5.38. That lets them use just one carrier without having ring gears that are way too thick at the top end.

I'm not sure why they kept the old generation carrier since they designed a new generation for the Rubicon but they did. What they did was design the housing around the old generation 3.73 and down carrier. All the new generation D44 gears fit that carrier. So when you pick a locker for the Non-Rubicon JK D44, get the 3.73 and down version.

Why did they do it that way? No clue. But that's what they did.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The JK Dana 44 axle is a special case.

It's been completely redesigned from the previous generation. The Rubicon version is 100% unique and no parts were carried over. The Non-Rubicon shares the carrier (i.e. the locker) and carrier bearings from the old generation D44.

But it's not that simple. The old generation D44 has 2 carriers. The first is for gear sets from 2.73 to 3.73. This is the 3.73 and down carrier. The second is for 3.92 to 5.89. This is the 3.92 and up carrier. The difference between them is how close they put the ring gear to the centerline of the pinion gear. They do this because the pinion gets smaller as the gear numbers go higher. Rather than have the ring gears get thicker and thicker they move the ring gear closer to the pinion so they can make thinner ring gears.

So, everything was easy to understand. But then they made the JK D44. The gears are completely different. And instead of a spread from 2.73 to 5.89 they went to a spread from 3.21 to 5.38. That lets them use just one carrier without having ring gears that are way too thick at the top end.

I'm not sure why they kept the old generation carrier since they designed a new generation for the Rubicon but they did. What they did was design the housing around the old generation 3.73 and down carrier. All the new generation D44 gears fit that carrier. So when you pick a locker for the Non-Rubicon JK D44, get the 3.73 and down version.

Why did they do it that way? No clue. But that's what they did.
Nothing to add here but I noticed you have a vehicle named Truck Norris and that is awesome. Well done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts