Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 2009 JK Unlimited Sahara and I made a sharp turn to 270 turn to get into a parking spot. Didn't make the turn and went to put it in reverse to make the spot. But I put it in reverse and let up on the gas and it moved forward. The gear shift said R but on the dash it still said D. I was unable to get it to move so I circled the parking lot and found a spot. I put the parking break on and tried a few times to get it to shift to Park but it would not. I had to get to work so I left the parking break on and went to work. I returned and the vehicle would not start (naturally since the transmission is still in drive). I can't move the gear shift unless I use the override but it does change the fact that it's stuck in gear.
I climbed under the Jeep and found that the rear ring of the cable was loose but was still around the pin on the transmission. I took most of the housing off around the gear shift but was unable to remove the stock button (all of the videos I've found are top buttons. I have a side-button).

So I have two questions, 1) How do I get it started again so I can work on it? 2) How do I fix it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Put the key in the "on" position and keep the brake pedal pressed.
Set the parking brake.
Use a flat-bladed screwdriver and remove the shift lock manual override cover.
Press and maintain firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Using the screwdriver, reach into the manual override opening and press and hold the shift lock lever down.
Press the shift release button and shift into neutral where it can be started.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.