Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice a drop of fluid the other day on the garage floor and got underneath my 2014 jku and saw tranny fluid sprayed on the underside above my tranny on the driver side. The leak is directly above my skid plate to give you an idea of location. After inspecting closer, the leak appears to coming from where the gear shifter is attached. This is the shifter that goes from 2wd to 4wd Hi and low. And not from park to drive. Im guessing there is a seal in there that has gone bad. Has anyone ever changed the seal in this? I cant seem to find any documented removals of this by anyone.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
So I notice a drop of fluid the other day on the garage floor and got underneath my 2014 jku and saw tranny fluid sprayed on the underside above my tranny on the driver side. The leak is directly above my skid plate to give you an idea of location. After inspecting closer, the leak appears to coming from where the gear shifter is attached. This is the shifter that goes from 2wd to 4wd Hi and low. And not from park to drive. Im guessing there is a seal in there that has gone bad. Has anyone ever changed the seal in this? I cant seem to find any documented removals of this by anyone.

Thanks.
Leaks can be tricky, not only to fix but to figure out where they are coming from.
That part you are talking about is the transfer case. And a leak there would be rare. Not impossible, but rare. The transfer case only hold two quarts of OIL (ATF) and it is not under any sort of pressure. So if it is leaking from there it would normally come from the underside or the breather. You could start by making sure the breather is open. It is a hose that runs from the transfer case to the engine bay.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaks can be tricky, not only to fix but to figure out where they are coming from.
That part you are talking about is the transfer case. And a leak there would be rare. Not impossible, but rare. The transfer case only hold two quarts of OIL (ATF) and it is not under any sort of pressure. So if it is leaking from there it would normally come from the underside or the breather. You could start by making sure the breather is open. It is a hose that runs from the transfer case to the engine bay.
Its very odd, because where that shifter arm connects at the tranny, all around the attach area to the transfer case was wet. The heat shield above the area had oil on it. I used a mirror to check the transfer case on the top near the under carriage and everything was dry. Also, right next to the shifter arm is the forward drive shaft and the seal was dry except for a little residual where the seal would be, but was only wet about an inch or two, but mostly dry. So maybe that could be leaking and as it spins it is throwing the oil up and back on the undercarriage and shifter arm. I cleaned it all up under there to see if I can get a better witness of where it is leaking from. Thanks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its very odd, because where that shifter arm connects at the tranny, all around the attach area to the transfer case was wet. The heat shield above the area had oil on it. I used a mirror to check the transfer case on the top near the under carriage and everything was dry. Also, right next to the shifter arm is the forward drive shaft and the seal was dry except for a little residual where the seal would be, but was only wet about an inch or two, but mostly dry. So maybe that could be leaking and as it spins it is throwing the oil up and back on the undercarriage and shifter arm. I cleaned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts