Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 JKU X Dana 44 rear 30 front max tow 3.73 auto.

I am going to install lockers, I have narrow my choices to eaton E-Lockers because I don't want to ad a compressor and because I happen to feel more confident on e lockers.
So, because of the type of ride, wife drives it to the mall (had to get that out of the way) grocery shopping, work (P/T) and picks kids from school. I drive it every time I can :D and, take it camping, lite off road, family road trips etc.

I could probably get away with no lockers, BUT, I want them, and we want to start going on more challenging trails, however, for the amount of off roading we will do in the future, a real lift and tires above 33" will not happen because it will nit give us nothing in exchange other than looks, and we like the stance of the Jeep as is.

With that said, at 57.500 miles and with the current 42RLE/transfer case, would I gain anything if I swap to 4.10s?
With my stock tires, I would not consider anything above that, and I really don't think I'll ever swap the t case for a 4:1 because they are way too expensive.
I am thinking a 4.10 ratio will help more on pavement than off road, but since I will be installing the lockers anyway, does it make sense to source a set of 4.10 gears?
Although I understand gears and rations, thats not my forte, so I want to know what you guys think about my particular case and application. Again, in my head, the locker install will help off road and the 4.10 may help on paved roads to make gear hunting not as bad...

Any and all opinions welcome.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Yes, the 42RLE with that outrageous 0.69? OD.... 4.10 is reasonable. But cost??? is it worth the change from 3.73??? If you are opening everything to install lockers... your only expense to go to 4.10 will be the gears, hardware so yeah if you are going in for lockers... do the gears too.

And YES, Lockers are worth more than a winch. I could not believe the difference. I crossed a snowdrift. Stuffed the right rear and left front and watched the left rear and right front spin in midair. Shovel? Winch? Tow? OR....Lockup... let the clutch out... idle off. Lockers will be the first mod I do to any 4x4.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bb, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy thinking that the 4.10s will help on paved roads.
Based on the extensive reading I have done on here, anything above 4.10 and the engine will be screaming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts