Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just about to put some 33x12.5's on my 04 wranger, i have the factory dana 30 in the front and a dana 35 in the back. do i need new gears with the 33's or has any one had signifigant problems after they put 33's on? also what should i do about the speedometer readings, should i have a major change?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If he has a 6cyl and 3.73 gears you should be okay

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
If he has a 6cyl and 3.73 gears you should be okay
with manual tranny he will notice a bigger difference than with auto tranny.
i´ve 32s with 3.73, 6cyl and automatic and i notice a big difference to stock jeeps. in the city is ok, but with speeds +50 mls it is very slow.
that´s why i will regear to 4.56 when i have enough money for that and two lockers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, i got the 6-cyl

with manual tranny he will notice a bigger difference than with auto tranny.
i´ve 32s with 3.73, 6cyl and automatic and i notice a big difference to stock jeeps. in the city is ok, but with speeds +50 mls it is very slow.
that´s why i will regear to 4.56 when i have enough money for that and two lockers.
thanks for the info its been very help full, is 3:73 the factory ratio

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
On some it is, but not always. You can look on your differential and it will be stamped into the cover as long as no one has changed anything!!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You should be fine. I have 3.73 gears w/6 cylinder, auto trans. I just lifted my Jeep and added 33" x 10.5" S.S - TSL's... It has a slight lag from the stock 225's but I'm OK with it around town and on the highway.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm not hijacking this thread but after I lift my jeep I want 32's or 33's I have a 6cyl with a 5spd and 3.73 gears should I be okay.:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not hijacking this thread but after I lift my jeep I want 32's or 33's I have a 6cyl with a 5spd and 3.73 gears should I be okay.:confused:
You should be OK with 33's. I have the 6cyl with a 6spd and 3.73 gears on 33 x 12.5" tires. I can still use 6th gear on the highway, but I do need to downshift if traffic slows to 55MPH.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Ya I was doing a little reading last night and found a thread on here and there were people that were running 35's on the 3.73 gears and they said it was fine so I think I should be okay on 33's.:D

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Ya I was doing a little reading last night and found a thread on here and there were people that were running 35's on the 3.73 gears and they said it was fine so I think I should be okay on 33's.:D
I can't imagine anyone saying 35" tires with 3.73 gearing is "fine". And if I were to be upgrading to 33" tires again, I'd go straight to 4.56 if I had a manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I just don't want to spend 1,000$+ on new gears. I'm getting a 3" lift so I could go with 32's or 33's would both tire sizes loose about the same amount of power.:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just went from 31's to 33's on my 04 manual and I can still spin the tires (if I need to). In fact I start off in second gear half the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts